Upgrading my 2007 Imac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jmarsiglio, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Jmarsiglio macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm wondering if it's possible for me to upgrade any of the parts on my Imac. I think it is the mid 2007 model ( aluminum frame with ATI mobility radeon 2600 hd ) and core 2 duo. I think the cpu is socketed so I can replace the processor. Is there anything else I can replace besides the HD? And what is the best processor to upgrade to availabe. Please do not tell me to buy a new computer as this will not be an option. I need all your feedback, thank you!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is possiable to replace the CPU, video card, RAM, and HD. I suggest you only attempt to upgrade the HD and RAM. Finding a compatible CPU is going to be hard and finding a compatible video card is going to be near impossible. It can take up too 6Gb of ram with one stick of 2Gb and another of 4Gb. The hard drive can go up to 2Tb.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It uses Core 2 Duo T7xx which uses Socket P so in theory, the the best CPU you could use is either the T9900 (3.06GHz) or QX9300 (2.53GHz quad core). However, due to steppings, it's impossible to say for sure what CPU will work. I'm not sure is it socketed or not but IIRC it is socketed.

The GPU can in theory be upgraded but finding a compatible part is extremely hard.

In a nutshell, you can upgrade the RAM and HD fairly easily

4. Jmarsiglio thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye, I just want to be able to play BFBC2 on good graphics ( and SCII ), so I think it is my cpu that is keeping my performance down. I just want someone to be sure as I don't want to blow 200$ for nothing. Thanks for your feedback but I need definitive answers. If you know for sure please tell! ( or give websites )

core 2 duo 2.4 ghz

and I don't really care about my HD size and my ram is already maxed :)

Hellhammer... rings a bell probably a post on something similar to this question i saw you i 2008...

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My kids play sc2 on that model ( 20" 4gb ram) in mid settings with no issues.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

GPU is often the biggest bottleneck. Your C2D is more than sufficient for gaming but the GPU is mobility version so not that great. You could try overclocking your GPU under Windows, that can easily boost 10-20% and will cost you 0$

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Considering the age and cost of upgrading the RAM and internal HD would probably be in the $290-$440 range it may be wiser to sell the machine and buy a new refurbished iMac. If you take the following assumptions:

Installed 6GB of RAM = $160
    Install2TB HD $130-$280 depending on brand and features

And as others have stated forget upgrading the GPU and CPU.

You could probably sell yours for about $500-$900 depending on exact model and specifications and could replace it with an Apple refurbished iMac that exceeds your current specifications starting at $1019 you can quickly see it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money upgrading your current machine.

8. jonasmac macrumors member

I have a 2007 iMac with a user upgraded 1TB hard drive and 4GB of RAM...I definitely would upgrade to one of the newer iMacs if I have the chance to sell mine for $750 or so.

9. Hexley macrumors 6502a