Upgrading my 5 year old MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thejimib, Jun 21, 2011.

1. thejimib macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    Firstly I'm sure this has been covered before so please don't get angry at me, there's so many posts on here I didn't know where to start.

So I have a MacBook Pro I purchased June 2006 running 10.4.11
    Processor 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

It's been great and worked fine all this time but I mainly use my PC for uni related stuff.

I need to upgrade to 10.6 to run the iOS SDK 4.3 as I want to start making iphone apps in my spare time.

1. Will this MacBook Pro be able to handle 10.6?
    2. Would I be able to install the Snow Leopard disc straight from Tiger?
    3. Would it be best to format my MacBook Pro and install Snow Leopard from scratch? (as I haven't formatted this computer since I have had it)
    4. What will happen when Lion 10.7 comes out?

Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated. As I am a student buying a whole new computer right now is out of the question so I am hoping I will be able to make do with this one for a little while.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes, you can run SL on it and it will be fine. I had a 2006 mb running it just fine. The SL "upgrade" disc for 30 bucks will allow you to do a complete install from scratch

Concerning Lion, you won't be able to run it as it will require a core2duo machine and above

3. thejimib thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Cool, I'll pick up Snow Leopard then.
    Would I be right in assuming that the next iOS SDK will require Lion to run? Or would I be ok with Snow Leopard for a little while longer?