Upgrading my computer...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jamescwarren, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I'm buying a new MacBook Pro tomorrow (can't wait! :D) but was wondering what will happen when I transfer my iTunes library over? Will I somehow be able to transfer my iPod backups over? I don't want to have to lost all my saved game data! Minor thing I know but it's important to me :) Thanks.

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

transferring your media will be fine, i've done it before (although i went from windows to windows), just use an external HDD or a CD or something along those lines to transfer your media. make sure you transfer applications as well. i'm sure there is a way to transfer backups, i just don't know how. i assume you could transfer them like other media however you would have to know where the backups are located and i have no idea where they are located on a mac because i use windows. but on the new computer when you sync your iPod it should make a new backup on the new computer so you shouldn't have to worry about transferring backups anyways.

3. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Don't know where they go on a pc, but they are in
    ~Macintosh HD//Users/yournamehere/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

4. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks for replying.

So if I copy that folder over it should erase and resync the iPod with all the same stuff and saved games?

5. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Just transfer the whole dang iTunes folder, apps, music, everything.

6. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

I did this and lost all my save data when I got my iMac. I guess you need to transfer the backup files from the Application Support folder as well. Then when you plug in the iPod on the new computer, just click restore from backup I would think.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Um, let's see. I think after you copy the iTunes folder from the old computer ot the new one, which should transfer all the music, playlists, and apps, then you should set the iTunes on the new computer not to sync automatically when you connect an iPod. Then you do a "transfer purchases" from the touch to the new computer, before you sync. This should transfer all apps currently on the Touch to the new machine, and should also mark them as syncing with the Touch. *Then* you sync. Since no app would be deleted/overwritten, this should preserve all app data. I think.

8. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

Yes this is the way to do it. The way I previously mentioned, using restore from backup, I think would be for if you get a new iPod Touch and want to keep your save data.