Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey

My friend has a unibody Macbook Pro 13" running Leopard, which he says is barely useable now as it's so slow.

My older, technically slower Macbook White is razor-sharp still, with 4Gb RAM; a hybrid 768Gb/SSD drive and the latest Mountain Lion, so I'm confident his can be too.

As well as ordering him 4 or 8Gb RAM (which the maximum his Macbook supports) I plan to get him on the latest OSX too; and tidying up his files.

I ordered him a CD for Snow Leopard, so will run that first, to get the Mac App store installed. My questions are:

- Can we skip straight from Leopard to Mountain Lion, or do we have to pay for and download Lion first? That would seem silly.

- Can I download the program file for Mountain Lion and/or Lion, so we don't have to sit around waiting hours for them to download? I have full ownership of both so can download them from the App store if there's a way to put them on USB

Any other thoughts on making this an efficient process would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Nov 28, 2010
located
As well as ordering him 4 or 8Gb RAM (which the maximum his Macbook supports)
8 GB RAM is the maximum RAM if it is a 2009 MBP.

- Can we skip straight from Leopard to Mountain Lion, or do we have to pay for and download Lion first? That would seem silly.
You have to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, then from there you can directly download and install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, no need for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (it is also no longer available from the Mac App Store (MAS))

- Can I download the program file for Mountain Lion and/or Lion, so we don't have to sit around waiting hours for them to download? I have full ownership of both so can download them from the App store if there's a way to put them on USB
This might be of interest:

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

As for speed, an SSD will make the most difference, maybe convince your friend to get a 120 or 256 GB SSD, 256 GB can be had for less than 200 USD nowadays.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
As I'm on OSX Mountain Lion on both my Macs, it doesn't look like I have the option to download it!

Well, I can certainly load Snow Leopard; tidy his Macbook up; order RAM and start the download of Mountain Lion for him or I to finish another day.

I don't think he'll be looking to spend the cash on an SSD, especially as he has to buy a replacement battery too. I'm sure quadrupling his RAM (especially as 2Gb is so basic) will help.

I also have this inkling that there's something about updating the OS and getting fresh system files that helps too..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.