Upgrading my hard drive on my new Macbook Pro 13", have a question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brig2221, Jan 20, 2010.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I have watched a few YouTube videos on how to upgrade the RAM and hard drive on the new Macbook Pro's. I feel very confident I can do this.

That said, my Macbook is arriving tomorrow, and I already have my RAM and hard drive upgrades on hand. I really don't want to mess with Super Duper or whatever the cloning program is called.

Can't I just put in the new hard drive and then re-install Snow Leopard via the installation disk that the computer will come with? Am I missing anything here?

I figure since I am starting completely fresh anyway, a reinstall would be easier than trying to clone the existing drive. Thoughts???

2. bware189 macrumors member

If you're starting fresh, then you've got the right idea. Just remove the old one, place the new one in there and boot from the CD (hold C or option on boot). If you do not want a fresh install then cloning programs like CCC or super duper are very helpful. In the future, I would suggest doing a little search with google or a search within macforums to find your answer. I'm sure there is an arbitrary number of posts on this topic floating around here somewhere. Goodluck with your new MBP and upgrades.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yep you can install from the disc, or just run a time machine back up if you kept one from your old HD ;)

4. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I'd start it up once before swapping anything out though, make sure everything is working prior to your h/w change :p

5. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Believe me, I plan on doing this and playing around with my new toy a bit before I perform surgery on her.

Thanks very much for everyone's reply!

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Just to prevent a future question, be sure to launch Disk Utility from the installer CD that came with your MacBook to partition and format the drive before actually running through the installer. It can be accessed from the "Utilities" menu if my memory serves me correctly, from within the the OS X installer. You want the drive to have a GPT partition table, and be formatted as HFS+ Journaled, not case-sensitive.

7. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much, I wouldn't have thought of that!!!

8. dankybear macrumors regular

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Just so no one is confused, the OS will work fine whether or not case-sensitive is enabled. It's mainly for people who, for whatever reason, need Picture.jpg and picture.jpg to register as different files.

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

11. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought the entry level 13" Macbook Pro that comes with a 160Gb hard drive. I purchased a 320Gb hard drive to replace it.

12. nelsonlowe macrumors newbie

Nice. Get a SSD. They run more quiet, less head, quicker and better battery life.