Upgrading my Hardware

Discussion in 'macOS' started by issint, Sep 6, 2009.

  1. issint macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #1
    Hey I'm running a macbook pro (2.4ghz intel core 2 duo). I had bought snow leopard however my nvidia graphic card gave out and I had to take it for repair. Long story short when the repairs were done they had replaced it with a 2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo with 128mb of video ram for the 8600gt rather then 256mb. Being the very anxious person I am, I want to know if I can upgrade my computer with the wrong motherboard to snow leopard now or if I should wait to get my motherboard swapped and would there be any difference in the performance if I was to do it with my 2.2ghz rather then my 2.4 ghz.

    I am running OSX 10.4.11 currently btw
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Who repaired it, because I'd complain that you got a slower computer - doesn't seem right.
     
  3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #3
    Agreed. Why was the spec changed. If that was done by apple, get on the phone to AppleCare and complain. You should have got an identical logic board to the original spec. If that wasn't available then you should be upgraded to the next nearest not downgraded.
     
  4. issint thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #4
    I was pissed off too, I called them up and they agreed that they would get the right logic board. But if I install snow leopard now will it run fine/better when I get my logic board swapped or should I just wait until the new logic board comes before installing snow leopard.
     
  5. havenly007 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2009
    #5
    I have a similar computer with 1.83 GHz and 512 MB RAM. I had tried to install Snow Leopard from Leopard but it will not let you if you have less than 1 GB RAM.
     

Share This Page