Upgrading my HD For uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nitro1, May 14, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

If i want to upgrade my hard drive either to get a bigger one or to get a SSD to swap in and out at my leisure does anyone know what company i should go with?

Also will i have to worry about the built in fall protection that is in the current HD for my uMBP. Will a new hard drive come with that or do i need to find the right company or HD that comes with it?

Thanks

2. edblor macrumors regular

Newegg, or another company you are familiar with will have everything you need.

I would definitely go with something 7200RPM, or the SSD. The sudden drop protection thing is OS related, so whatever drive you get will be fine.

I have a Toshiba 7k200 (200GB) and I love it. Most definitely faster than the stock 5400RPM drive. Get a capacity that suits your needs and you're all set:)

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya i am looking on this website.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/

And i am just checking on the technicalities. Also does anyone know about what the problems will be if i were to switch out HD back and forth with different info on each?

4. edblor macrumors regular

My concern with purchasing from them is the cost. Is the cost comparable to Newegg? You only need something OEM.

As for switching info between them, there should be no problems at all.

Install programs, games, apps as you want on your current drive, and when the new one arrives, clone the existing drive to the new one.

You'll need an external enclosure for the new drive, but these are cheap.

You can use the built-in Disk Utility, Carbon Copy Cloner, or Super-Duper. I use Disk Utility and it works great. All are easy though.

Once you clone the drive over, then make the swap, you can use the external enclosure to house your old drive, and use it for back-ups, Time Machine, or whatever!

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was actually planning on just carrying it around without the case. I already have a external hard drive but i was thinking of using the other HD for the computer and just taking out one and putting in the other when ever.

For example. i would take my HD 1 that is in my MBP and have all my normal files on that one. and then when i need to do my work or photoshop editing i can grab my SSD HD for example and pop that in and be all set. maybe it is overkill.

6. edblor macrumors regular

You most certainly CAN do that, but do you really want to?

Would it not be a pain to pull out the battery, and start screwing around, literally?

I'd be hesitant to have a HDD, or SSD floating around in my laptop bag unprotected. Even if it is protected by a case, or anti-static bag, or whatever, it still is not techincally as safe as being inside the laptop.

For what you described, and I'm sure that was just an example on your part, you might be better served using a USB stick of 8GB or larger. You could pop that in and out when you need to.

I don't want to tell you how to use your MBP, but you might want to think about where you put your files and how you access them. I'm sure there is a better solution than to swap out HDDs often:eek:

7. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are probably right. That is why i got on here and started picking peoples brains.

I might have to get a large thumb drive or another external.

Thanks