Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac/g5/1.8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
hi i was wondering if any of u had any advice on upgrading my imac g5

basically im wondering should i buy a 1gb ram stick from ebay (its unused) apple ram still in static wrap so basically its brand new its going for £70,

also is it ok to buy ram on ebay or is it more trouble then its worth

also im planning on upgrading my hard drive i dont want any less then 500gb, i had my eye on a 750gb but i dont wanna be spending a small fortune so ill probably settle on a 500gb

any suggestions ? i have around £150-£200 for everything (including ram)

and finally is it really worth spending this upgrading a g5 imac

any help much appreciated

cheers

also is there an internal bluetooth device i can fit

cheers

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
also is it ok to buy ram on ebay or is it more trouble then its worth
I'm sure someone will post saying they had no issues. But personally? I wouldn't recommend buying RAM from eBay.

Macs are notorious for being very picky about which sticks of RAM they'll play nicely with. Say you receive that RAM from the eBay seller and your Mac won't function with it? What recourse will you have?

CanadaRAM is the resident RAM expert and his fantastic advice is to buy RAM from sellers who will guarantee it will work with your specific machine. That way, if you get a stick that doesn't play nicely, you'll be guaranteed that the merchant will accept that stick and ship out a different one for you to try.

As for upgrading the rest of your iMac, I think you'll save a lot more money and be better off getting an external HD instead of swapping out the internal one, which might make a difference given your stated budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.