Upgrading my Late 08 MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZenWLH, Jun 5, 2009.

1. ZenWLH macrumors newbie

Hey everyone... I bought a new Late 08 Macbook a few weeks ago and I'm ready to upgrade it's RAM to the capacity and putting in a huge hard drive. I believe the max RAM is 4GB so I'll be putting in RAM from http://www.macramdirect.com/macbook.html

I'm also looking at new hard drives. I'm not sure if a 7200 rpm will ruin and burn out my macbook. Is it worth getting that extra speed? I'm just really worried that if I get the 7200 around 500 GB(1TB if it's available on a 2.5") hard drive it will overheat my new Mac.

Also, when you guys open up your computers, do you use grounding straps?

Thanks.

2. Emerica macrumors member

A 7200RPM hard drive will not burn out your macbook if anything you will lose a little bit of battery life seeing as the drive has to spin faster. Also you don't need to use a grounding strap at least I didn't when I upgraded my RAM.

3. ZenWLH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Are there 1TB hard drives for laptops? And can anyone direct me to the most reliable RAM and Hard drives? Everywhere I look it isn't right and I'm also worried if my MB will 'reject' the RAM...

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

500GB is the max. I personally don't think 7200RPM drives are worth the extra money. They tend to be louder/hotter than 5400 drives and the extra performance you get out of them is negligible.

I would recommend this drive. Some say it performs almost as good as its 7200rpm rivals, but at 5400rpm.

As for the RAM, I am not all the familiar with macramdirect.com. Most people go with 3rd party RAM producer crucial. I always buy from them and their RAM has never let me down.
    http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Buy the RAM from Crucial - they test it for your computer, so it will work (barring a defect, that is).

500GB is currently the biggest notebook drive you can get.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Aluminum or White? 6GB is the max but 4GB SODIMMs are very expensive so for all practical purposes, 4GB is the max. There are no 1TB laptop drives yet. 500GB is the biggest. I haven't noticed my 7200RPM drive being any hotter or louder than 5400RPM drives.

7. Emerica macrumors member

I think you can get a better buy from www.newegg.com where you can still buy crucial RAM. I bought my crucial from there and they have reviews from people who have used the RAM in their computers so that's how I knew it was going to work.

8. ZenWLH thread starter macrumors newbie

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Crucial should have all the RAM issues sorted by now and if not, it's got a full guaranty so buy with confidence.

10. ZenWLH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton guys.

Oh, sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess everything up. So here's my last question, when I buy my new Hard Drive, how do I move all my apps and files to the new hard drive?

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would buy a small external USB case. Newegg has them starting at $8. Pop the new drive in. Format. Clone the old drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! Reboot on the external to test. Then swap drives.