Upgrading My Mac, What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Paragon23100, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Paragon23100 macrumors newbie

So I got my first laptop and decided to splurge and got a mac. Now it's great, works great, took me a while to get used to the OS but love my mac now. I use it predominantly for surfing and just basic but am also doing filmmaking. My friend has a macbook pro with 4gb ram and better proccessor, and we used that for film editing, but want to make upgrade mine into one as well (filmmaking laptop). I also may want to use it for gaming (starcraft), photoshop and just a whole bunch of apps and programs. Should I upgrade the ram, get it upgraded for me (get someone to put in the ram) should I even buy ram, is there anything I can do to make a faster processor? Also, my internet is kinda slow, anything I can do to speed it up? Finally, my mac sometimes lags when there's a lot off apps open so I was thinking of upgrading it. I don't have much of a budget (probably not even a 100) so I need something cheap, but don't want shotty second hand stuff. How much can I add, and what else can I do? On another note, Ive been using firefox as my default browser and have added a whole bunch off addons, any other programs I should get for firefox OR any programs I should get for my mac? Thanks!!!!

2. akapaul macrumors member

akapaul

3. Tempto macrumors member

What akapaul said, but with your budget I'd say the RAM upgrades are the only things you may be able to afford. They can make a big difference though. :D

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you have 2GB of RAM upgrade to 4GB or even 6GB.

5. Paragon23100 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait, what else could I get? Also about the internet connection and increasing my bandwith that would be really useful. Also, everytime I use my phone my internet signal is lost, disconnected. Any solution.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If money isn't a problem, get a SSD.

7. Paragon23100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to keep this going so long, but what's an SSD. I'm a noob to macs and computers in general.

8. akapaul macrumors member

akapaul

SSD = super sonic drive

Basically it is a very fast hard drive. You replace your macbook harddrive with an SSD and it will make your computer fly.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol. Really though, it stands for solid state drive, and uses flash memory instead of a spinning disk like a normal hard drive. For more info visit the wikipedia page about SSDs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If money is a problem get a momentus XT.

11. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

Internet issues

What are you using for your internet connection? Dial-up/DSL/Cable? You shouldn't be getting disconnected with the latter 2 if you use your phone. If you are on dial-up, definitely go with whatever broadband connection is available in your area that you can afford.