Upgrading my Macbook - 4GB ram and a 7200rpm HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GodWhomIsMike, Jan 24, 2008.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I'll be upgrading my ram and hard drive in my 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook (last gen). 2GB x 2 ram. Figured it would be easier to just chuck in two if the same strip then to figure out where to put the 2GB strip.

The hard drive I have on order is:
    200GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200RPM SATA Notebook drive with 16MB Cache & G-Shock Protection (SEAST9200420ASG)

I should have them in a week or two, waiting for the PO to be processed.

Should I notice a large performance gain with this? I notice my MB w/ @GB ram seems laggy at times. Hoping to get extra boost out of it.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

First of all, your macbook does not support a full 4GB, only about 3GB will be usable. Either way, you won't notice much improvement from that. You will notice an improvement with the new hard drive though. Enjoy.

3. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured as much, but I know it's picky on which slot gets the larger ram chip. I took the easy way out, and got two of the same, and less thinking. :D

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, I'm glad you were already informed. You should definitely notice a speedup in boot time with the seagate in there. It's the fastest laptop drive for booting!

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Unless you are doing final cut & or rendering why go for the faster one and not a larger one?

6. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome. I'd go with a Macbook Pro, but I like the small size of the MB far better. The air isn't worth it, because it doesn't have enough horsepower for my needs. I was hoping for a Macbook Pro the size of the current Macbook, but it didn't happen at MacWorld. Maybe one day.

7. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I carry it each day on my commute - two hours each way. The smaller lighter Macbook is easier to carry. Plus, it's easier to lay in bed with it on a Saturday morning and use it.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

He meant the HDD :D

You can get a 320GB 5400RPM drive or a 200GB 7200RPM drive as the maxes right now.

9. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, I won't regret the 7200rpm hard drive. I needed a performance increase, and didn't want a larger Macbook Pro. More of a tie me over until the next cycle of Macbooks.

I'm assuming if Macbook Pro is switching to the new generation of processors soon, then it's safe to say that come May, the choice will be 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz processors in the Macbook. The new hard drive and ram would be installed in the new one, so nothing is being wasted.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes i meant HDD seems pointless getting a faster drive unless
    you need the speed for real reasons