Upgrading my MacBook, need help with certain parts.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jkimbro0316, Jun 29, 2008.

1. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Alright I currently have 2ghz macbook with 1 gb of ram, and a 120 gb hard drive. I want to upgrade my ram and hard drive to 2 gb of ram and a 200 gb hard drive, what website would you recommend I go to to get these parts?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

There a few web sites out there that explain how to do that. However, this is clearly explained in the manual.

--
    Patrick

3. StuBeck macrumors 6502

They are asking where to get the parts, not how to upgarde them.

I just bought the RAM and hard drive for my MB from NewEgg. Its not "apple certified" but the 4GB of RAM was 70 bucks, and the 250GB hard drive was $80. Both work fine.

4. jkimbro0316 thread starter macrumors regular

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

6. Jman14 macrumors 6502

7. bretto macrumors newbie

The memory you picked out is 4gb. If you meant to get just 2gb you can find some for $40-$50 less. If you really meant 4gb then you can find some that is $30 cheaper than the kind you picked out. (also I think that the Macbook version you have will only allow 3gb)

8. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

My apologies. I should have read the post better. Being in Canada, I buy my memory modules from www.ncix.com. I have heard that newegg.com has good deals.

9. CF Fighter macrumors member

I get all my computing hardware, no matter what the OS (I still have a XP desktop that I hand built for gaming), from Newegg. They have always shipped on time and even had stuff arrive early, never a piece of defective hardware, and they have some of the best prices around. Though you need to be a smart consumer and look at all the sites for pricing, Tigerdirect, Newegg, ZipZoomFly, and even the Big Box sites like Best Buy and Circuit City, and Crucial.com for RAM.

One more thing is that RAM is a finicky piece of hardware in that is pricing is very liquid and not set in stone like other types of computing hardware may be.

10. jkimbro0316 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah you're right about my macbook only allowing 3gb of ram, that was another thing that I was wondering about was if I could go higher than 3gb of ram now that those ram modules are available. But I think I'll end up just getting 2gb of ram in the end. Another question I have is if I can have a hard drive that's bigger than 200gb, when I bought my macbook, the only options were to go up to 200gb, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a 250gb hard drive and it'll work with my macbook.

11. jkimbro0316 thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely agree, but after looking at my ram modules in the system profiler, I figured out that they were DDR2 SDRAM, and when I looked at the 4gb ram modules, they were also DDR2 SDRAM so I'm guessing I'm on the right track.

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Have a read of these guides to understanding & buying RAM or go to crucial & get scan,it's also one of the best places to buy RAM from

13. bretto macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that they don't limit the size of your hard drive so go ahead and get whatever size you want. (just make sure it's sata and 2.5 inches)

14. jkimbro0316 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank's for your help, but I have one more question about the ram. I'm thinking of running Windows Vista via bootcamp sometime in the nearby future and so that's why I want a bigger hard drive so the partition could be bigger, and also more ram so I could run Vista pretty well. My question is whether 2gb of ram will be enough to run Vista good enough or not?

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

16. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

Yeah, you really need 2GB of RAM minimum for Vista - it's a memory hog.

17. Jman14 macrumors 6502

18. jkimbro0316 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for helping me out, I picked out what parts I wanted to order for my macbook. By the end of the week, I will have a macbook with 2 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive :D.