upgrading my macbook pro mid 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oribarak, Jan 9, 2015.

1. oribarak macrumors newbie

hello everyone.

i want to upgrade my mid 2012 macbook pro. i have a few questions:
    1. what is preferred for speed boost? upgrading my RAM or an extra ssd drive? i have 4 giga ram now.
    2. i have 500 giga hard drive, is 60 giga ssd drive is enough or should i put more money for 120?
    3. are owc reliable?

thank you and sorry for the mistakes i don't speak english very well:)

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

1. Assuming you want to continue upgrading to the latest systems and use the latest software: RAM, then SSD (hopefully you can get both)
    2. Get the larger SSD, it's worth the cost and prices are pretty low now.
    3. Yes

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That depends on your typical use. A SSD will provide a significant performance boost to most users, but RAM increases may or may not be required. If you're not regularly maxing out the RAM you have, you likely won't see any noticeable improvement by adding RAM. This should help: How much RAM do I need in my Mac?

Remember that any drive you buy will have less usable capacity than the listed amount. So you won't have 60GB available to use from a 60GB drive, especially after installing OS X on it. I'd recommend you buy as much SSD capacity as fits your budget.

Yes, they are a reliable brand.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Depends on what you do with it. For browsing the web and light tasks you'd most likely see more of a speed increase from the SSD.

60 GB is quite small, but again it depends on what you do with it. You can check how much free space you have now to determine what size drive you need, but chances are you're better off with a 128 GB.

OWC is reliable, but a bit overpriced.