Upgrading My MacBook Pro, Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eatsleepdrivesc, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Eatsleepdrivesc macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have right now a Mid 09' 17" Macbook Pro with a 2.8, upgraded to 8 gigs of ram, and a 256 gb sad samsung 330, anti-glare.

I just bought a Brand New Late 2011 17" Macbook pro, 2.4 i7 quad, 4 gigs of ram, 750 gb hdd, and glossy screen.

How much am I gonna miss my anti-glare? Is there a cover or film I can get for it?

I know this model can support 16gb I believe, right? If so does anyone have an opinion on the best 16 gb set to get.

Lastly, I was gonna just move over my ssd. Will that void warranty, Or I guess I could always just put back in reg hdd if I bring it in.

Also, my current one is in perfect condition, just some small scratches on the bottom from the case. What do you all think I can get for it?

Lastly, do you think I am really gonna notice a huge difference in terms of performance and quality?

Thanks.

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

This depends on where you use you computer. Do you use it in a very bright room or outside? If so then you will likely miss the anti-glare. If not, then you will probably prefer the glossy(I do).

Yes, a 2011 MBP supports 16Gb RAM. I have always used Crucial or OWC memory, but there are many many good brands. Just check some reviews out on Amazon or Newegg.

Replacing the hard drive does not void your warranty.

That really depends on your area. Check craigslist and see how much similar ones are listed for. You can check http://www.mac2sell.net for an estimate, but it doesn't really matter what you mac is worth if you can't sell it for that.

That really depends on what you do with it. You would have to really be utilizing you CPU to the max to notice a difference in the new one since you already have 8Gb RAM and an SSD.

I hope that answers your questions, good luck!

3. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

Believe me, if you are going for the retina model, you will not miss the anti-glare unless you work outdoors all the time.

I have serious issues with glossy screens, and couldn't stand most laptops with glossy finishes -- it gives me a bad headache after using for half an hour. The glassy macbook pros were even tougher.

That's why I bought an anti-glare mac in 2010.

I just sold my anti-glare last week, and bought a retina model. It's a huge improvement over the old display, and I never miss the anti-glare unless I think about it and start searching for reflections.

Note: Another thing is that the retina screen does not have glass over it like the other macs. It's a glossy flexible plastic like material that has lower glare than the glassy classic macs.

Bottomline: go for a retina.

4. jmdMac macrumors regular

The OP states nothing about buying a new computer.
    He is deciding between a 2011 MBP and a 2009 MBP anti-glare.
    Not everyone can drop 2.2k for something that is not needed. I for one would like to use my MBP till I feel held back by it. Upgrade for more RAM and SSD as the OP is doing. In addition, a 17" screen is very nice to use for extended use.

5. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks jmdMac for all the answers!

I feel the thing would be able to do pretty good against the retina after my samsung 830 and 16 gig of ram. at least I hope. But I love my 17 inch screen.

6. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

Can I just take out the 750 and put in my SSD from my old one, or do I need to do a time machine backup, install the ssd in the new laptop, then install mont lion, then do restore?

THanks

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Easier than that. Since Lion 10.7.2 you can boot to a TM backup, so here is what you do.

Install the new, blank SSD, then option key boot and select the TM disk as the boot source. This will start a recovery screen. From there launch Disk Utility and format the new SSD to Mac OS Extended. Quit Disk Utility then click restore. This will put the entire OS and all your data on the new drive just like it was before.

Once last step. After the restore is done, shutdown and unplug the TM disk then start. After you start go to System Prefs / Startup Disk and select the new SSD as the boot drive. Done.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

9. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Well these are http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600213067%20600006157%20600000410&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR3%201600%20%28PC3%2012800%29&ShowDeactivatedMark=False

11. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member