Upgrading my MacBook Pro, this the way to go?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shakakaw, Apr 13, 2013.

1. shakakaw macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I ordered my new macbook pro 2012 15" just the other day. /still waiting for it to arrive.

I´m going to upgrade it since i got the cheapest 500gb hdd in it and didnt upgrade the ram either.

I wanna put 2 hdds in it : 1x ssd & 1x 7200 hybrid*

And I´m wondering if this is the way to go? = to buy these parts , and if it will work with it.

www.webhallen.com/se-sv/varukorgen/60168

Thinking about the 2 drives, but since the 2012mbp should be able to take sata3 in the optidrive aswell??? It might be worth getting that bigger one?

Please I´d love peoples response.! I´d hate to mess this one up...

// :)

2. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

I don't see why it would not work but you probably have the last mbp iteration that has a dvd drive, I bought the same mac as you for precisely that reason. When I did the upgrades ( ssd + 16 g of ram) I kept the hdd and I use it in an external usb 3.0 enclosure for portable memory.

And I would buy a bigger SSD, at least 256 GB, mine is 480 GB.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

You should be just fine.

Remember, you can't mess it up. That's the advantage of the model you've chosen. You can always make changes if its not to your liking the first time around. :)

Enjoy!

4. shakakaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So probbly uppgradin to 256 ssd version of the samsung.

Then going with the sata3 hdd* 7200rpm hybrid that i included in that shippin list?

5. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

I'm not sure about the hybrid drive, I think that since you already have a ssd, a standard 7200rpm hdd will do fine since you won't use the advantage given by the hybrid, given that your applications will be installed on the ssd.

You could even use your 500gb drive as a second hdd instead of buying a new one, and you can always switch later.

6. shakakaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it become trouble to have a hybrid drive as a second drive???

due to the applications' bein installed on the ssd storage:?*

Don´t understand.
    + I´ve got a 5000rpm 500 gig hdd from apple that sits in the macbook atm.
    Won´t it be nice to just go with a new drive altogether?*

7. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

The advantage of the hybrid I believe, is that the applications and most used files are installed in the fastest part of the disk. But since you'll have a ssd, you won't see mush improvement considering that it is more expensive.

And, you could install the ssd as a primary drive where your current drive is installed and move the 500Gig drive into the opti-bay to use as secondary drive for your folders.

But what you wanted to do would certainly work