Upgrading my macbook to Leopard, do i need to reformat?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Star Destroyer, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Hey, everyone!
    My first Mac purchased is my macbook that i bought last year in may, its been working perfectly thus far and i was thinking perhaps i should buy leopard and install it.

Now my question is: Do i need to do a complete reformat of my HDD or will installing leopard just overwrite my existing tiger and work just like the normal software updates i have been downloading ?

Does anyone want to explain how i would have to go about putting leopard on my macbook? and if its possible to do so without reformating.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're upgrading then you don't need to erase the drive.

3. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

I have heard lots about the archive and install, and upgrade, and the fresh install options.

Will archive and install slow down my macbook or make it run choppier ?
    I would assume fresh install is the best for the system, but to do a fresh install is there an easier way to backup all my files and then import them back into Leopard?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

To the best of my knowledge an archive and install is effectively an erase and install short of erasing the drive and maybe even rebuilding the user space.

I plan on not migrating ~/Library from Tiger. (I want a clean start there.) My other files will be moved over to my new Leopard machine.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm planning on erase and installing seeing how I haven't started fresh since 10.2 (even getting my Macbook I migrated from my powerbook). But I like using the archive and install.