Upgrading my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by I Love Mac, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I Love Mac macrumors member

Hello MacRumors!! I am looking to purchase a new hard drive on my 2010 Macbook white unibody and also looking to purchase two 4Gb ram chips and I was just wondering if these are compatible with my Macbook! The website says they are but i'd like to get another opinion. Links to the hard drive and ram will be below.

Heres The RAM

And The Hard Drive

I was also wondering how I can completely transfer all the data on my current hard drive to the new one so that can be my start up disk. Is that possible or will I just have to install Mac OSX Snow Leopard all over again then install all my old programs? Thank you very much for your time!

2. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

OWC is a very good place to get your stuff. If they say it is compatible, it is. I have had only good luck with them.
    What you want to do is use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal HD to an external drive, making sure it is a bootable backup Replace your drive, then clone the backup back into your new drive. That should work.
    I have not done this myself, but I have had to start off my external HD and then clone it back into my internal drive to fix a problem, and that worked. So, I would think that it would work onto a newly formatted drive as well.
    I will also be interested in hearing what some of the more experienced folks have to say on this subject.

3. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much, i've always messed with software stuff without a problem, but this is my first time playing with hardware so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible. Thanks a million.

4. kaydot macrumors regular

The upgrade is as simple as you describe.
    i) Create cloned backup to external drive. ii) Install new hard drive. iii) Boot off cloned external iv) clone from external to new hard drive v) reboot

I used the free version of SuperDuper backup agent for this exact process just two months ago, and it worked great.

5. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'm really looking forward to this. Thank you all! You really gave me some self assurance!! I just joined this forum and I can already see this is a friendly and helpful community!! Thanks a million!

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Save yourself some time and get a USB hard drive caddy or a dock.

Stick your new drive in that, clone to it, boot off it to test it's ok then swap the drive out, boot off your new internal and job done.

You can then use your old drive in the caddy/dock for extra storage/backups.

7. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

psx, good advice. I have several externals so I never thought of that solution.

8. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to do something like that, once I clone my current hard drive to it I'm going to connect a USB to it and make sure I can boot off it.