Upgrading my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emiserry, Apr 17, 2009.

1. emiserry macrumors newbie

Hi,

So, I have this white macbook which I bought in Q4 2008, and I really hate the internal graphics card.
    Can I upgrade it with a Nvidia Geforce 8800M GT, the one which was specialy designed for macs?
    Please give me some advice about this option or if you know any, give me another option ;)

Thanks a lot !!

( Im a 15 year old Dutch guy, so my english isnt top-notch, sorry about that )

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Apple notebook's and most desktop's graphics cards cannot be updated (not even the iMacs). If you really can't stand it, then sell your MacBook and buy the new one with the nVidia 9400m which is 5X faster.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I agree this 'upgrading' is a bad idea. Even though you could do it, not only it will void the warranty, it will actually lower your resale value. You are much better off selling it and buying another MB.

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I'd say sell the computer and put it towards a new WhiteBook with the nVidia chipset. Your current computer should be able to pay for most of the new computer.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...are the iMac's cards soldered to the main board or is it just due to being difficult to get into the casing?

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I always thought it was set up like a laptop internally...with everything soldered...but I don't know for sure.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Some iMacs have MXM cards. Unfortunately replacement MXM cards with EFI boot ROMs basically don't exist so they might as well be soldered to the board.