Upgrading my mid 2010 Imac soon but...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joenj07087, Jan 19, 2016.

1. joenj07087 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I'l be upgrading to a late 2015 5K Imac soon, but I'll be mainly using it to run LOGIC PRO X, which storage drive should i get?..Fusion? SSD? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....I was originally thinking of the 3TB Fusion drive , i7 with 32Gigs of RAM.....

2. roberthallin, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

roberthallin macrumors member

Fusion should work just fine, the RAM is what'll be working the hardest and 32GB will work for most situations.

Although if you'll be working with very big audio files I suppose you would notice a difference if you go pure SSD. On my iMac with a 7200rpm drive I've gotten a "Disk too slow" error maybe two or three times during the almost two years I've been using it, recording 24bit 44100hz. I've gotten the same error on my MBP using an SSD though, so I suspect the error is traceable to something within Logic (9).

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I have not been working in Logic Pro X, but if your budget allows it I would recommend the largest SSD you can afford coupled with an external USB3 HDD for keeping data on.

Regarding the RAM I do not know if you where planning on paying Apple for the 32GB or buying from a 3rd party vendor. However I would recommend the latter as it will save you a lot of money.

4. mbushnell macrumors member

I just upgraded my mid 2010 iMac to a fully loaded 5k (i7, 32 gb, 4 gb vram, 3 tb fusion). Omg is all I can say. Just picked up the 5k yesterday, and am completely blown away.