iPad mini Upgrading my Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macuser1066, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Macuser1066 macrumors member

The last question I posed to the forum was whether to purchase a MINI for use when I was hospitalized for a knee replacement. I elected to buy a wifi only MINI and fell in love with the form and weight. Although I have the iPad4, I find myself using the MINI far more during my recovery. The only regret I am experiencing is that I chose the wifi only model. While we have in home wifi, on the occasions when I go the doctor or therapy, more frequently than not there is no available wifi. I am wondering whether I should sell the 32G MINI and buy a new 64G LTE enabled MINI or wait until the new MINI may be released. I suspect it will be in the fall, but whether it will be retina or other major change is the question. As I say, I am going to keep on with a MINI, but when to buy is my question.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You can get a hotspot rather inexpensively and not have to change your Mini at all until the next model comes out.
    http://www.netzero.net/

$50 and data plans starting at $0 a month.

I use the free plan and find it to be adequate since I am rarely without wi-fi. If you are going to the doctor a lot you might need a paid plan.

3. French macrumors regular

If I were in your shoes I'd wait. In fact, I did buy the 64 gig LTE model and part of me is regretting it because I know I will upgrade as soon as a Retina mini is available. Having said that, I've decided to just enjoy the "overkill" and not think too much about what's to come.

I haven't activated the data on mine yet. I am able to use the hotspot on my phone when I don't have access to wifi and luckily most of the time I have access to wifi.

Do you have the option of activating a hotspot on your phone? Most plans will allow it as an add on for $20/month for 2 gigs I believe.

4. ibarnett macrumors regular

ibarnett

I too bought WiFi only, & use my prepaid sim in a mobile wifi which works fine.
    However - I failed to realise that to get GPS function you need the cellular/LTE model, as it is incorporated into that chipset.
    So I have sold mine & now waiting for the new model (whenever that might be).

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Right now, the hotspot is $99 with the free plan. It's also good to note that the free plan expires after a year, and you can't renew it. Pretty neat setup, though.

6. Macuser1066 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately the netzero doesn't appear available to me. I have ATT with my iPhone 5 and may look into that for a hot spot. I am not too concerned about GPS, as my car is equipped with a really good system. Thanks for your advice.

7. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

You should be able to jailbreak and install MyWi and share your phone's Internet without a problem or additional costs on your plan.

Or, I have the AT&T family shared data plan and it includes tethering for free as a part of the plan, and that let's me use the apple built-in tethering program, which works great. I tether Internet to my ipad and my Mac air all the time, often at the same time. Essentially, with it I can do everything away from the office that I can do in the office except for hi-speed scanning that I have on my big printer. For slow scanning, I have a good hand scanner and the iPhone camera and a great scanning application for the iPhone and ipad.

Let us know what you're going to do! Best of luck.

8. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

Don't sell.

I have the 64 GB iPad 3 4G/LTE but, like you, find my 32 GB wifi only iPad Mini greatly more usable out and about. While I predominantly use the mini as my reader, on the occasion I need wifi access and it is unavailable, I simply turn on the hotspot (AT&T) on my iPhone 5 and use that. Works like a charm but I very seldom have to use that. Hospital, doctor's office, even my grocery store all have free wifi.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Strange, when I look at the website right now it still says all hotspot devices are 50% off, and shows $49.98 for the hotspot. Perhaps the Netzero website is detecting our locales and offering different prices in different areas?

10. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Possibly. On mine, it says 50% off select plans, which don't include the free and basic plans.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Oh, you are absolutely right. I didn't dig that far, but yes I see that now.

I took this deal myself in late October last year and at that time the 50% off was applicable to all plans. I'm using the free plan right now for incidental use very similar to OP (doctors visits) so this thread rang a big bell for me.

Thanks for correcting me, I don't like to accidentally misinform people.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No problem, thanks for showing me that product. I'll have to keep it in mind if I decide to get a mobile hotspot.