Upgrading my old iMac for graphic and video work

Discussion in 'iMac' started by porkkala, Jul 10, 2015.

1. porkkala macrumors newbie

porkkala

Hey guys,

I need an advice. I have an old Apple iMac 3.06GHz 3.06 GHz 21.5" MC413LL/A Desktop (bought in late 2010). It's still running pretty smoothly, but it's not powerful enough to use any of the latest graphic programs (for example, I can't use DaVinci Resolve at all and Adobe Premier is running pretty slow). Judging by your experience, do you think it would make sense to just try and upgrade my iMac or would it be easier (and less expensive maybe) to buy a new one?

This question might sound stupid, but I honestly have no idea how to upgrade stuff like this. And if it's even possible to get parts for this model anymore. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The only thing you can upgrade is RAM and hard drive, and neither of these upgrades will improve graphical performance.

Your only option is to get a new iMac with a decent GPU. I suggest the stock high end 5K iMac for this.

3. porkkala thread starter macrumors newbie

porkkala

Thanks a bunch!! I thought it might be the case.

4. porkkala thread starter macrumors newbie

porkkala

p.s. Judging by your experience, does Retina display make a difference?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The difference is night and day. Once you go retina you'll never go back to a normal display.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yup, huge difference.

7. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Once I saw 24 megapixel raw images from my DSLR on that screen I realize I haven't really been seeing my photos, just approximations of them. You won't go back.