Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello all
I am upgrading my iPad mini first generation. I am deciding between the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3. I would get the mini 3 if I choose to stick with the mini form factor because I want Touch ID, gold, and better future software compatibility.
Anyway, should I upgrade to the air 2, or simply stick with the mini form factor and go with the mini 3? I will be using it alongside a 13 inch MacBook air if that changes anything. I like the idea of the big 9.7 inch retina display, but then again I am not really sure if I need it all that much since this will be a tablet that I use alongside my MacBook Air. What do you guys think? Which should I go for?

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
You do realize the Mini 3 has the exact same hardware as the Mini 2 except for touch id. If you have the extra dough I would suggest you get the Air 2. 2gb of ram plus the A8x makes it worth it that much more.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Personally I love the mini form factor. It fits in my suit jacket pocket and goes everywhere with me, yet is still large enough for reading pdfs reasonably comfortably. If I didn't already have a retina mini, I would get a mini 2 or 3. For me the portability of the device trumps the larger screen and more up-to-date processor of the Air 2.

Of course that doesn't mean you should get a mini 3. That all depends on what is more important to you: portability, or a larger screen together with a faster processor and more memory. One advantage of getting an Air in your case is that since you've already tried the mini form factor, you might be able to tell if you prefer the Air or not after using it for a week or two, and would have the opportunity to return it for a mini if you decided you made the wrong call.

JakeJLF

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2014
Hello all
I am upgrading my iPad mini first generation. I am deciding between the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3. I would get the mini 3 if I choose to stick with the mini form factor because I want Touch ID, gold, and better future software compatibility.
Anyway, should I upgrade to the air 2, or simply stick with the mini form factor and go with the mini 3? I will be using it alongside a 13 inch MacBook air if that changes anything. I like the idea of the big 9.7 inch retina display, but then again I am not really sure if I need it all that much since this will be a tablet that I use alongside my MacBook Air. What do you guys think? Which should I go for?

If you like the mini form factor better, go for it.

BTW, ha! I randomly found you here! It's Jakelegofilms from YouTube here!:apple:

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
If you are ambivalent, the air 2 is a much better buy. If you are dead set on the mini form factor (as I am) then get a refurbished mini 2. Or the mini 3 if you absolutely must have a new product or Touch ID.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Do you have an iPhone? If you have a Plus, get the Air 2. If you love the Mini form factor and want to save some money, get the Mini 2. If you need more than 32GB of storage, get the Mini 3. If you want to future proof your purchase and don't mind the larger size, get the Air 2. The extra RAM and processing power ensures it will be getting software updates for many years to come. Furthermore if you browse the web a lot, the experience on the Air 2 is far superior to the Mini due to it being able to keep tabs loaded into memory.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
If you like the mini form factor better, go for it.

BTW, ha! I randomly found you here! It's Jakelegofilms from YouTube here!:apple:

Funny to bump into you, LOL

----------

Personally I love the mini form factor. It fits in my suit jacket pocket and goes everywhere with me, yet is still large enough for reading pdfs reasonably comfortably. If I didn't already have a retina mini, I would get a mini 2 or 3. For me the portability of the device trumps the larger screen and more up-to-date processor of the Air 2.

Of course that doesn't mean you should get a mini 3. That all depends on what is more important to you: portability, or a larger screen together with a faster processor and more memory. One advantage of getting an Air in your case is that since you've already tried the mini form factor, you might be able to tell if you prefer the Air or not after using it for a week or two, and would have the opportunity to return it for a mini if you decided you made the wrong call.

That sounds like a good plan, try the Air 2 and if I absolutely don't like the larger form factor, I'll just go with the mini 3.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
That sounds like a good plan, try the Air 2 and if I absolutely don't like the larger form factor, I'll just go with the mini 3.

I think you'll like the light and thin form factor of the Air 2. I've had mine for almost 2 weeks now and love it.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
If you'd like more RAM, screen landscape, etc then I'd go with the Air 2.
If you just want smaller and more portable with saving a few bucks, Mini 3.

For me, I got the Mini 3 because the Air 2 is just a tad bit too large for me to comfortably hold and tote around in my purse. I just upgraded from my original Mini too. I'd advise to play with both in store, then decide what'll fit!

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I was trying to decide the same thing, I ended up going for the air 2 which was the right choice for me, I love the display and the weight is perfect. I had an iPad 2 for about a year and found it too heavy to hold for long periods of time, with the air 2 I'm not finding that.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I bought air 2 to replace my ipad mini, it's awesome device, screen is really great, much much less reflection than any other ipads. 2gb of ram is really makesnthe air 2 much more fluid to use, there is no more refreshes in safari. But i returned it the next day because i feel it's too big. Got the mini 3 and couldnt be happier. Wish the mini 3 has 2gb of ram and a8x too. Damn apple.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I ended getting the Air 2 and keeping my Mini 2. Its great because I use the mini for traveling and Air most other times. I sold a Mini 1 I had lying around and my iPhone 5 to pay for the Air 2 so it worked out well.

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
Hello all

The iPad mini is an amazing device but now there is a clear winner in the Air 2. Spending $400+ on a mini is definitely not worth it. I suggest you try out the Air 2 and once you get it in your hands you will understand why it is now leagues ahead of the mini in terms of speed and performance. Mostly on paper but there is a noticeable difference between my Air 2 and Mini with retina. The Gamut issues alone on the Mini make it not worth the amount Apple is charging for it. Most people wouldn't notice it but that's why we have forums like this to get really technical. IPad Air 2 FTW!

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I bought air 2 to replace my ipad mini, it's awesome device, screen is really great, much much less reflection than any other ipads. 2gb of ram is really makesnthe air 2 much more fluid to use, there is no more refreshes in safari. But i returned it the next day because i feel it's too big. Got the mini 3 and couldnt be happier. Wish the mini 3 has 2gb of ram and a8x too. Damn apple.

Just curious, how exactly was it too big? Like it was uncomfortable or awkward to hold? It's always great to get feedback from people who own the device.
Thanks!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Just curious, how exactly was it too big? Like it was uncomfortable or awkward to hold? It's always great to get feedback from people who own the device.
Thanks!

Very hard to palm an iPad Air or hold it with one hand. Much easier with the iPad Mini. I can also fit the iPad mini in my jacket or in the back pocket of my backpack. The Air must go into the laptop pocket or be carried by hand.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Hello all

I did the same thing... Had the original mini 16GB and my Air 2 arrived today.

It was worth it. Totally.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
"generation"-wise:

- from mini 1 to mini 3 = 3 generations (A5 from the iPad 2 to A7 from the iPad Air = iPad 5)
- from mini 1 to Air 2 = 4 generations (A5 from the iPad 2 to A8X on the iPad Air 2 = iPad 6)

etxetxiki

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008

Same here. Went from ipad mini 1 32GB to mini 3 64GB. The mini's size is the perfect size for me.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Thanks!

You know. Everyday stuff like moving from one place to other place in your house, goin to take a pee while you are in clash of clans or youtube watching some videos. It's too cumbersome to be super mobile with air 2.

And reaching things in air 2 screen is too tiring lol. I might get flamed but it's ok, it's just my opinion.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
They are both great devices but the latest tech doesn't necessarily make it the best. I tried the Air 2 for 10 days and thought the screen was fantastic and it was a great iPad. But I found that I've adapted to mini size for the past two years and really didn't like using the full sized iPad for reading books, even one as good as the Air 2. The Air 2 screen was amazing, but I decided to return it for the mini 3 instead. I hope the mini gets the screen that the Air 2 has next year but the device size was the deciding factor.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Thanks for the feedback everyone. If anyone else has an opinion on why they love the form factor of the mini or Air, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.