Upgrading My PB or buying new MB/P

hope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
26
0
So, my Disc drive is acting a little weird. Its working but it seems like its going to need replacing soon. I only have a CD-RW so I could upgrade to a faster one with DVD-RW capabilites for about $200. Everything works great and the speed is fine for me. The 160gb HD is what I really need and that was almost a $400 upgrade so I'm not sure if I'm willing to sell it for $1200-$1400 or put the other $200 upgrade for the drive. What do you guys think.

I'm still not sold on the current line of MB/P as I would like to see the C2D come out with the cooler running processors and better battery lives. But, it will make the current line up more affordable. Not sure, any thoughts.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Upgrading = throwing good money after bad in my opinion, I'd sell it at $1200 (if you can actually get that price) and grab a refurb MBP for around $1699 off the store.

Way better than sitting around, waiting for C2D, and then struggle to sell the PB for $900.
 

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
1,223
0
Personally I would recommend buying a MBP, I had a PBG4 1.5ghz and it felt slow and clunky to me and the macbookpro is just another level of performance, the GUI is blazingly fast and everything runs and opens in a snap.
 

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
2,256
4
Beds, UK
15" MBP 07/08.. this is 2 years old and is holding out alright. If anything major happened, then obviously, upgrade... until then :rolleyes:
 

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
3,766
41
I have a top of the line 8x Apple brand Matshita UJ 846 Superdrive I will sell yhou for 110; it is literally the top of the line superdrive and has only been used ONCE by me in my Tibook which I am selling tomorrow with it's original optical drive in it.

Let me know. This is the drive Apple puts in its laptops currently. Very fast.
 

hope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
26
0
Well the speed is actually alright. The only time I really get the feeling of it being slow is when I do some music editing and a little during the startup as I have the widgets, quicksilver, etc... load. I'm not sure if the mentality of if it works keep it is good or sell it while I can and get the new one.

The key factors making me keep it right now are the 160gb HD and the FW800 as the MB and MBP 15" don't have it and that's what I use for the external HD as its fast and I can't imagine using anything else. I don't know. Thanks for the comments guys. If anybody has anything to add, I'm all ears as I'm still not completely sold on anything yet.