upgrading NAS HDD synology?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iOrbit, Oct 12, 2012.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

i need to upgrade my nas HDD as it is finally full (the hdd in use was never a long term solution, i just couldn't afford HDD at the time, i used an older 320GB hdd)

im buying a compatible WD20EARX 2TB HDD. i'd like to know what is the most effective and fast way to get my data from the hdd to the new one?

i attempted to begin backing up the current HDD but doing it is really slow, i assume because its over the wifi/ethernet?

is there better and faster way?

2. Toraen macrumors member

Are you using any of the data protection in the NAS, or just a bunch of disks? If you're using data protection, can't you just replace the drive and let it rebuild it for you? (That's the theory, I've never rebuilt or replaced a drive in my own NAS yet).

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

Which Synology unit do you have?
    You could remove the internal HDD, place it in a USB caddy, and connect it to the back of the Synology unit. Then simply copy the data across to the new drive.
    In theory, it will be the right format for the NAS so shouldn't be a problem, although I've never had to try it myself.

I don't trust WD drives in a NAS, even though I tend to go for them in laptops and desktops. Something I read in the past about their lack of reliability in NAS nuts.
    Go for a Samsung SpinPoint HD204UI. I've been running 5 of them in RAID5 for over a year now, and they have been spot on, as well as cool and quiet.

4. Cybbe macrumors 6502

WD has recentely released the RED series, which is optimized for NAS use.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

True, although single drive performance is still better then RAID performance in these drives.

Saying that, what's the power consumption like in comparison to the HD204UI's? The latter has been very good with power consumption for me, considering the NAS stays on all the time, the amount of power used is also considered!

6. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Not sure about the Samsung's, but keep in mind that these are no longer produced by Samsung, as Seagate have taken over production. This might be an internet myth (I have no objective reviews to back it up), but I have read claims from people saying their new "Samsung's" are not performing as well as their old ones.

Reviews of the WD Red's are generally very favourable.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6157/...iew-are-nasoptimized-hdds-worth-the-premium/5