Upgrading Nehalem 2.66 X5550

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jimscreechy, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jimscreechy macrumors newbie

I have just purchased a new Mac Pro, the standard 4 core Nahalem 2.66model. I would like to upgrade this but don't know if it is possible given that I am not familiar with Mac hardware. I have a couple of questions regarding this.
    I would like to upgrade the Xeon X5550 to two Xeon X5560 xeon Processors as I currently have two spare. The first question is - does this mother board actually have another processor socket? i.e. is the motherboard Just like the 8 core Mac Pro model with one socket simply left empty or is it a completely different board with only one CPU socket available?

The second question is I am not exactly sure that motherboard and bios cater for this chip given that it is not one specifically offered by APPLE (though it is in the same range, package and specification) but simply runs at 2.8ghz as opposed to the 2.66, 2.93 and 3.33 ghz models APPLE has available.

Thanks.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

The 2009 SP systems (Quads) only have single sockets on them, so stick with 35xx parts if you wish to continue using ECC memory. Otherwise, you can put in an i7-9xx part (save the i7-980X which is due out tomorrow), as that one would require a firmware update that will never arrive.

The DP parts can actually work on SP boards (you can only fit one obviously), but it's a waste (they're able to shut the 2nd QPI off). SP parts however, CANNOT run on DP boards.

3. militantmind macrumors newbie

So,

As a DP MP2009 Octo 2.26 I hear from people i can only use 55xx series processors for upgrades and yet I've read people saying any lga1366 chip. What's the deal?

Thanks

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can only use 5500 series Xeons. It is unknown if 5600 series will work, probably unlikely.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can run the DP processors on either DP or SP boards (they can shut off the 2nd QPI when set in an SP board). But in the case of DP boards, you MUST use DP chips (Xeon 55xx in the Octad 2009 Mac Pros, as they're the only ones that would work).

You absolutely CANNOT run an SP chip (Xeon 35xx) in a DP Mac Pro (Octad system). You can however, run a single DP chip on a DP board. It just makes a more expensive Quad, with no immediate advantage (you could however add the 2nd processor later, though it may or may not be cost effective, depending on the pricing/deals available at the time).

You can however run a DP chip (Xeon 55xx part) on an SP board just fine.

I realize this information may be a bit confusing, but if you read carefully, I think you could understand the differences. ;)

As it would require a microcode update in the firmware (assuming the VR's won't need any changes to the hardware - bias resistors), I wouldn't bet on the 32nm parts working in 2009 systems. :(