Upgrading/New contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weezite, May 26, 2010.

1. weezite macrumors regular

So here's the thing. My father opened my cell phone bill for me when I was 17 because I too young to be the primary number. Since then, I have paid for my bill every month. So it's been like 4 and a half years and I still continue to pay for the bill but under his name. I've been meaning to change the number over to my name and billing info, but never got around to it. Now that it seems that the next iPhone is around the corner, I want to get the phone changed over to my name so my father does not have to be present during the contract part when I am purchasing my new phone. I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this is. The line that I am on now (under my fathers name) is eligible for an upgrade, so that's not an issue. Should I go to an AT&T store and just try to get the account under my name? I've never done that before and everything with AT&T seems to be a chore so I don't know how hard that would be. Would it be easier to just open a new account on iDay and then port my number onto the new account after and then cancel the old number? Has anyone been through this before?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Porting = moving a number from one carrier to another.

Can't "Port" a number from one contract to another. Your only option is to transfer responsibility of the line. You should upgrade before the transfer though.

3. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

Why, does it take awhile to go into effect or something? That's what has me concerned right now.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I did this a couple years ago, although on verizon, and it was instant on their end and did not affect my upgrade date at all :)

6. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean is for the "transfer of responsibility" to take effect. Meaning, transferring the responsibility of the account from my father to me. Does this take a couple of billing cycles to go through or is it instantaneous?

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Why not just cancel your current line and sign up as a new customer.
    Just get a new number. May want to wait for Verizon though. June 7
    will be very interesting.

8. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

If you want the phone the day it comes out with out your dad, then you need to transfer that line into your name. Just give ATT a call. Let's hope you have enough credit or else it might get tricky. Since it's your dads line, you can't do anything to it without him present. It will be cheaper this way since you can get the $18 upgrade instead of the $36 regular activation since i think if you transfer, you should still have the same upgrade date. The best way is not to ask though, visit an ATT store or give a call to ATT and they can give you The best answer.