Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
if I get a stock MacBook Pro
Like I mean walk into a Best Buy or Apple Store and buy a MacBook Pro.
Can I upgrade the SSD FLASH?
or it's best to order the MacBook online from appls6?

Thanks

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
If you upgrade anything and they don't have that specification in store, you'll have to order it. What I did when deciding was I used the apple app on my iPhone, and when you customize it gives you a little "updated shipping date" message on the top and if you click on that it'll tell you if the specification you're looking for is in stock at your nearest Apple Store or if you'll have to order.

I'm sure the website will do the same, but I can't recall as I did it mostly on the phone.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
if I get a stock MacBook Pro
Like I mean walk into a Best Buy or Apple Store and buy a MacBook Pro.
Can I upgrade the SSD FLASH?
or it's best to order the MacBook online from appls6?

Thanks

In a word NO.

Its a little more complicated than that, in theory you can change an ssd on the non touchbar version but there are no replacements that will fit even close to the speeds apple are getting. The touchbar versions have the storage chips and RAM soldered directly to the board so you can't upgrade them at all.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
The best thing to do is buy the computer you need at the point of sale, get all your upgrades then. Budget for it, and if it's too expensive then consider a cheaper Windows computer.

Never push your budget just to buy an Apple, because they're an expensive platform. You'll need cables, probably a case, other accessories, software, etc. And in my opinion none of that's worth it unless you've got plenty of cash or using it to earn money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.