Upgrading Newest 15" Macbook Pro w/ Data Doubler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i.Addiction, Apr 8, 2012.

1. i.Addiction macrumors newbie

I read on the forum about some problems with the data doubler and installing bootcamp/windows 7. So I def. did my research before posting this, but I want to do a few odd things I couldn't find info about. Either please point me in the right direction, or let me know in this thread. I don't want to start opening up my Mac until I know 100% what I want to do, and how to do it.

I bought the 15" base model Macbook Pro from Best Buy on April 1st.

It came with a 500gb hard drive. Splitting that for Windows and Mac just wasn't going to do it for me. So I bought the data doubler kit on macsales.com and I bought two 750gb WD 7200rpm Hard Drives on newegg & 16gb of RAM for the Macbook Pro too.

The data doubler came in the mail, I am still waiting for the Hard Drives.

I was under the impression I could use 1 HDD 750gb for Mac, and 1 750gb for Windows. Is this true? I am getting mixed info on that. I am somewhat confused as to what the data doubler does? I thought when I picked the hard drive to install windows I could just pick the 2nd drive? This might not be the case.

As time went on and I did more research about SSD I have been debating going that route. Can I buy a SSD and use that for OSX and Windows? So say have 60GB for Mac and 60GB for Windows 7. Then take the 2nd drive (750gb HDD) and spilt that for windows and mac as well?

Also I bought a Macbook Air SuperDrive because I was going to be taking out the other SuperDrive that comes in the macbook pro, but OSX doesn't recognize it, Windows does oddly enough. I guess I'll just have to buy a different drive for that no biggy, but does anyone know a workaround for that?

Any and all input would be great.

Love this site, been lurking for a while and finally decided to join.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

The data doubler is simply the bracket that allows you to install a second HDD/SSD in the OptiBay. With two hard drives, you will be able to choose between each to boot from by holding the alt key on startup. You can install individual OSes on each.

3. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

That is not what I read. As I will be doing the data doubler this week too.

First problem is that you cannot install bootcamp from an external drive/USB key on a MBP (only the Air).

There are other problems as well, but what exactly they are, is escaping me at the moment.

I have read that you can do it using Paralells somehow for the install. And then transferring it to your optibay.

There is nothing wrong with your purchase (although it is overpriced for what it is). So getting a different optibay holder won't solve then problem. The problem is OSX.

4. i.Addiction, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

i.Addiction thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I know I paid a bit much for it but it looked pretty sturdy and came with the tools.

I was going to install windows with the ODD (optical disc drive) that came with the MacBook pro, and then swap out the odd. But can I do the SSD and HDD combo I talk about above?

5. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat as you. So in the middle of research myself.

Your second option with the SSD would be the easiest way. Even though personally I would get the largest SSD I could afford (amazon has a great price on a 512gb M4), and run as much as possible off of that. And use the optibay drive for music/movies/majority of windows Apps (unless you use then a lot).

6. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

All of the permutations you talk about are possible... The most straightforward way to do the installation of windows would be to install it using the optical drive (still internal), then to switch out the drives as you want. You can use the superdrive you pull out of the computer if you buy a housing. (i have this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IRY3ME/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details)

7. i.Addiction, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

i.Addiction thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about doing the SSD split and the HDD spilt? Would I buy a SSD and put that into the main bay while leaving the optical drive in. Then install Lion, then split that via BootCamp Assistant? Then after that is done, would I remove the Optical Bay and put in a 750 WD 7200RPM HDD? How would I go about splitting that afterwords? I guess that is where my confusion comes from.

Any and all info would be great.

Quick Update: I am returning one of my drives from newegg and I bought a 240gb SSD. :) I will keep you posted about my choices from there. I still hope I can do somewhat what I wanted to with splitting the SSD & HDD. We will see.

Thanks for the help so far guys. This place is super useful I think I am going to contribute the $25 a year to help this place out.