upgrading not a good idea,imo...here's why

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richbad25, Jun 9, 2008.

1. richbad25 macrumors newbie

i just got an iphone 16gb from my girlfriend...2 weeks ago.
    i recently had a nice conversation w/a tech guy who came to our house to install att cable and internet service who had an iphone and said our iphones are already 3g capable.2)the new iphone may need to unlocked diffferently(i don't know that)i have t-mobile...in the us.3)i think the new version is cheaper in construction.this seems like iphone 1.75...i think mine is more like 1.5...being 16 gb.gps is cool but not worth buying a new one...4)and also...read the info at the apple iphone page,its say that price is good w/new 2 year activation....w/att.
    i may buy one down the line...but doubtful...i love my current one!
    i could try to take this one back,if i really wanted to but...why?
    somebody is going to create a 3g app if the tech guy was wrong which,i doubt he was anyway!i am exited about the new .mac and some of the software apps tho.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

3G is hardware, not software. Your phone isn't capable of it.

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

You are so wrong. 3G requires extra hardware, which your phone doesn't have. In other words, your phone doesn't have the electronics inside it needed for 3G communication. And the 16Gb model is the same as the 8Gb one, just with a few more storage chips.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Cable guy lied. Curent iPhone is not GPS capable.

5. seenett macrumors regular

Your cable guy should stick to running cable lines rather than give Apple advice. One thing he said was outright wrong, a few were speculation, and a few were just common sense.

6. witchdrash macrumors member

Yeah you got done, current iPhone doesn't have the technology do 3G or GPS, both require hardware to actually work and it's not possible for a simple software solution, although it depends what you use the handset for, if you don't use it for browsing the net much, and you don't want the geo-positioning aspect there is no reason to upgrade at all. If you want a decent phone, with a great interface that is an excellent music player the first revision of the handset will be more than enough.

7. richbad25 thread starter macrumors newbie

he lied?

well i've seen on this board a post by someone who showed a screen on the current model encoded w/a screen that says switch to 3g much like edge to wifi....it may have been fake but i've seen it.

8. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Wasn't that the SDK Beta?

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The current iPhone is not 3G compatible. However, it may be upgradeable to 4G, and maybe someday, 5H.

10. richbad25 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats cool...

i still think overall,keeping your 16 g makes more sense...waiting until the phone design changes,w/the camera that was rumored,video chat,3g and gps are definitely cool...just not worth it to me....i guess.one other question,if these upgrades are good for the phone and us why is the stock dropping?i don't get it.

11. MacsAre1 macrumors member

3G unnecessary

If you have T-Mobile, 3G is probably unnecessary at the moment because they don't have the network rolled out in many areas yet, if any.

Also, I expect you will not be able to unlock the 3G iPhone and switch to another carrier without paying early termination fees, since AT&T is now subsidizing the price.

12. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

ATT cable guy - is probably a cable guy because he has no idea what he's talking about. He should stick with pulling cables.

13. 103734 Guest

Apple stock normally drops the day of a Keynote because its built up so much leading up to the event, also some people are disappointed it wasn't released today or sooner.