Upgrading OS using target firewire mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RLesko, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RLesko macrumors member

So, I am upgrading my friend's MacBook Pro (old, Core 2 Duo, 2.33 ghz) to SL. She was on Tiger (10.4.x). Initially, the cd drive wouldn't take the SL installation disc, but it would take other DVD's. I then cleaned the SL disc and it accepted it. However, whenever I would hit "restart" to continue installing SL, the computer would reboot and spit the SL disc back out. I did some googling and concluded that the CD drive is failing. Not worth it to pay for a new one as the computer is 5 years old.

So then I figured out I could use another MacBook Pro in target FireWire mode since I know that disc drive is working. I began the installation, the computer rebooted to start installing SL, and now it seems to be stuck (has been showing the spinning loading icon for over 1.5 hours now). Both machines are still connected via FireWire, and I'm going to leave them that way overnight, but what should I do? How can I safely unconnect them? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you use the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD?

3. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it is an authentic Apple DVD. Just checked on the laptops this morning and no progress was made. At this point I don't want to disconnect them because I feel as though it may severely damage the computer I am trying to upgrade.

4. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

Here is an update:

I eventually forced shut down the laptop I wished to install the OS on and rebooted. Thankfully no damage was done, but when I tried the procedure again, the target macbook pro spit the leopard disc back out. What gives?

Thanks.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

White

7. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone think I would have better luck with removing the hard drive, putting it in an external case, and doing the upgrade via usb?