Upgrading OS X On 2009 Mac Mini

Sammy's

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Just swapped out the hard drive on my 2009 Mac Mini for an SSD. The optical drive no longer works but I was able to make a bootable flash drive from a disk of Snow Leopard v.10.6.3 that I had. The computer is up and running but I'm at a loss on how to update the OS from here. Before I swapped out the HD it was running El Capitan (which I believe is the last OS X that the computer will run).

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Just swapped out the hard drive on my 2009 Mac Mini for an SSD. The optical drive no longer works but I was able to make a bootable flash drive from a disk of Snow Leopard v.10.6.3 that I had. The computer is up and running but I'm at a loss on how to update the OS from here. Before I swapped out the HD it was running El Capitan (which I believe is the last OS X that the computer will run).

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

Can you clone the HDD you removed onto the SSD?

Sammy's

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Not sure how to do that - I will have to look into it. Any advice?

I just searched purchases on the App store and it showed Mavericks and Yosemite (but no El Capitan) - there is a download option for both and I'm in the process of downloading Mavericks. Hopefully this will be successful and I will be able to jump to Yosemite from there. Any ideas on getting to El Capitan?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Not sure how to do that - I will have to look into it. Any advice?

I just searched purchases on the App store and it showed Mavericks and Yosemite (but no El Capitan) - there is a download option for both and I'm in the process of downloading Mavericks. Hopefully this will be successful and I will be able to jump to Yosemite from there. Any ideas on getting to El Capitan?
See the "How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan" support link:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206886
See section "4 Download OS X El Capitan" and click on the " Get El Capitan" link to be sent to App Store where you can download the full El Capitan installer.

wardie

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2008
Can you put the drive you removed in a USB3 enclosure, boot externally from that, then clone that drive back on to your new internal one?

Reactions: ElectronGuru

kohlson

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2010
I have just finished updating my brother's 2009 Mini. In installed a Patriot Blaze 120GB, replacing the original Hitachi 120GB spinner. I was able to update to El Cap - decided not to use dosdude's patcher (to a later release) as there is a risk of wifi not working. Works great. I had an issue with SATA negotiated link speed=1.5 Gbps (1/2 the capability of this mini's 3 Gbps). A known problem, which still worked better than the HDD. But, After resetting SMC and PRAm/nvram, it now appears to be at 3 Gbps.

Last edited:

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
MGTOWn
perform a complete TM backup of the old boot drive (use an external or secondary drive for the backup)

swap the boot drive

during first boot hit command + R

select "restore from TM backup" from the menu

select your latest backup and follow instructions

after installation everything should be right where you left it

armelleforkids

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2019
That did the trick - Thanks!
Hi, this link doesn't work with my computer. I have a Macbook 2014 running Yosemite. And nothing happens when I click Learn more. Does anyone know why I can't download the version from the above link on my computer. fyi, I have enough memory and storage. Should I download El CApitan 10.11.1 first? I can't find El Capitan 10.11. Please help, I'm stuck and scared I'll do something wrong and lose everything.

Sammy's

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Hi, this link doesn't work with my computer. I have a Macbook 2014 running Yosemite. And nothing happens when I click Learn more. Does anyone know why I can't download the version from the above link on my computer. fyi, I have enough memory and storage. Should I download El CApitan 10.11.1 first? I can't find El Capitan 10.11. Please help, I'm stuck and scared I'll do something wrong and lose everything.
Step 4 - Click Get El Capitan. Did you try that?

auxiliary

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
I have the same model and I went tot the App Store and it wouldn’t let me update to 10.11.
So I did a bunch of searches to see if I could download it from elsewhere. I have my thumb drive created and I think this is where I got it from https://www.downloadelcapitan.com/download.html
When you get that then you need to make the thumb drive.