Upgrading OS X on multiple computers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BAFTUB, May 16, 2010.

1. BAFTUB macrumors newbie

Hello guys!

I am somewhat new to using apple computers, ive never really needed to learn how to use them. I had gotten 2 macs the other day, which are both Power PC. The one I am interested in fixing the most is a Power Mac G4 with the duel drive doors. Right now I have it bridged over the network and have the software updated to 10.4.11.

I am trying to upgrade it to 10.5, which would be Leopard. I have a DMG image of Leopard 1.5, which I have burned to a DVD DL, and tried to install, but the mac is not able to read those kind of discs.

I have also tried a usb flash drive, with the recovery thing. I did read somewhere of a thing called startup disc, but my drive was not listed in it.

Would anyone here have any other suggestions??

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

PowerPC Macs can only boot to FireWire external drives.

You say you want to "fix" them. Are the computers faulty, or just obsolete?

3. BAFTUB thread starter macrumors newbie

the computers work perfectly fine, but they both contain data from past owners. I just need to reinstall fully updated software on the, and start at a fresh point.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. BAFTUB thread starter macrumors newbie

I am also interested in upgrading the RAM on the power mac I have.
    Right now it has 2gb.

6. BAFTUB thread starter macrumors newbie

my other mac is an emac, with 512mb of ram. It has 10.2 on it.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay.

1. Connect the two Macs with a FireWire cable.
    2. Reboot the eMac, holding T from when the startup chime sounds until a FireWire icon appears on the screen. Its hard drive should appear as an external drive on the desktop of the Power Mac.
    3. Copy the DMG over the network onto the Power Mac.
    4. Use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) on your Power Mac to erase the eMac's hard drive.
    5. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the DMG onto the eMac's hard drive.
    6. Reboot the Power Mac, holding the option key until the boot menu appears. The eMac's drive should be one of the options. Select it.
    7. Go to Utilities -> Disk Utility and format the Power Mac's hard drive.
    8. Install Mac OS X to the Power Mac.
    9. Once the install is complete and the system rebooted, use Disk Utility again to format the eMac's hard drive.
    10. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the fresh Leopard install from the Power Mac onto the eMac.
    11. Eject the eMac's hard drive from the Power Mac by dragging it to the trash/eject icon in the Dock, turn it off by holding the power button until the fan noises stop, then turn it back on again.

Done!

8. BAFTUB thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

Thank you!

9. BAFTUB thread starter macrumors newbie

I have gotten 1.5 on my power mac g4, and I have also wiped my emacs drive clean through the firewire.

I moved the installation .dmg over to the emac so it boots off that but when I select a drive there are none there.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just clone the Power Mac's entire drive to the eMac. No need to run the installer again.