Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
I have OS X Snow Leopard Server installed on a mid-2007 Mac Mini, and now want to update it to the retail version of OS X Lion. When I launch the installer it wants the server version of Lion.

Is it possible to update a server OS to a retail version of OS X? I don't really want to purchase Lion Server since I've realised I don't actually need the server applications for my uses.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 14.34.31.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 14.34.31.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have OS X Snow Leopard Server installed on a mid-2007 Mac Mini, and now want to update it to the retail version of OS X Lion. When I launch the installer it wants the server version of Lion.

Is it possible to update a server OS to a retail version of OS X? I don't really want to purchase Lion Server since I've realised I don't actually need the server applications for my uses.

Apple won't even let you buy Lion Server anyway now. I'd back up your data, create a USB Lion installer, then install Lion after formatting the disk. This of course would require that you reinstall any 3rd party apps you're using.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
Thanks everyone. I actually managed to get an upgrade working by creating a bootable USB of the Lion installed and to my surprise it upgraded everything :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.