Upgrading OTA while jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tartarus, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Tartarus macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello, I have an iPhone 4 and it's jailbroken, and I want to upgrade to 5.1, just one problem, ever since I jailbroke my iPhone I haven't been able to get any computer, pc or Mac, to recognize it, it only gets recognized in dfu mode, I'm wondering if I can update to 5.1 OTA and not brick my phone, and If it can unjailbreak it that would be ideal.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The OTA update won't work. Apple put in a check that prevents it from working.

3. Tartarus thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok, so is there a way I can use a software update file from my brothers iPhone 4, boot in dfu mode and install the ipsw file to it? (with redsnow)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can put your iPhone into DFU mode and restore it in iTunes. This will remove your jailbreak. redsn0w is not able to update iOS.