Upgrading past Mojave?

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
With Apple removing dashboard I don’t think I will be upgrading past Mojave. I use Dashboard all the time and need this feature. Are you also staying on Mojave or upgrading to the new OS? I will however upgrade my Apple TV, Watch, IPad, and iPhone to the latest oses.

Reactions: sracer

benshive

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2017
United States
With Apple removing dashboard I don’t think I will be upgrading past Mojave. I use Dashboard all the time and need this feature. Are you also staying on Mojave or upgrading to the new OS? I will however upgrade my Apple TV, Watch, IPad, and iPhone to the latest oses.
I'm still on Sierra

machenryr

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
I only JUST moved up to Mojave from Sierra. I’m generally two or three OSes behind. There was one reason I went ahead and upgraded now. I have a 5,1 machine and bought a SSD PCIe card I wanted to use for my boot. There was no other way.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2018 Mini and A LOT of "still-32-bit" software that is never going to get upgraded to 64 bits.

So... this Mini will remain at Mojave indefinitely and will probably never be upgraded beyond that point.

I do intend to maintain an EXTERNAL boot SSD that has "more modern" versions of the OS on it, just to keep up with how things are going.

bigfatipod

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
What do you use Dashboard for? I never enjoyed it and removed the icon from my dock. I use the 'sidebar' (not sure of the formal name) that, I think does stock/weather/cal widgets. But I'm curious what you find so compelling with dashboard to stay with Mojave.

Reactions: shafez

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
I can't upgrade to Catalina on my iMac and MBA as long as I continue to rely on iWork '09. It's a 32-bit app suite and Catalina doesn't support 32-bit apps.

Reactions: retta283

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
What do you use Dashboard for? I never enjoyed it and removed the icon from my dock. I use the 'sidebar' (not sure of the formal name) that, I think does stock/weather/cal widgets. But I'm curious what you find so compelling with dashboard to stay with Mojave.
Temperature meter. Calendar, weather, etc... I like it being able to tell how hot my MacBook is running.

I can't upgrade to Catalina on my iMac and MBA as long as I continue to rely on iWork '09. It's a 32-bit app suite and Catalina doesn't support 32-bit apps.
Upgrade to the current version of IWorks.

Last edited by a moderator:

saudor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
i use the sticky feature alot.. things like commonly used terminal commands, keyboard shortcut references and whatnot are all there. But the greatest issue is lack of 32 bits. So many appsi use havent been updated to 64

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm waiting for a promised upgrade to an app which I use every day. Unfortunately it's still 32 bit so if it doesn't get upgraded to 64 bit I'll have to stick with Mojave for the time being.

Reactions: SoCalReviews

bigfatipod

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
Temperature meter. Calendar, weather, etc... I like it being able to tell how hot my MacBook is running.
I use something called "iStat Menu" that gives me temperature and has the option for other features. Not sure if its exactly what you'd want, but if you eventually have to upgrade it might be an option.

I should also mention that it looks like I'm going to keep my 2012 mini around just to run Aperture. It's not a great long term solution, for sure, but I really haven't found anything else that I've been happy with yet. In fact.... now you have me thinking I should pick up a 2018 mini just to keep Mojave on one/two machines until I address that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: colodane

JoeInMilwaukee

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Upgrade to the current version of IWorks.
I would love to upgrade to the latest iWork applications, but the problem is that although they allow me to open iWork '09 documents, they don't allow me to SAVE them as iWork '09 documents. Hence, if I attempt to open iWork documents saved from the latest iWork applications, iWork '09 can't open them because it won't recognize the formats.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Joe in Milwaukee wrote:
"Hence, if I attempt to open iWork documents saved from the latest iWork applications, iWork '09 can't open them because it won't recognize the formats."

On my 2018 Mac Mini, running Mojave, I have Pages 8.0.
The menu choice
File --> Export to --> Pages 09
... is still there.

That won't work for you?

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Joe in Milwaukee wrote:
"Hence, if I attempt to open iWork documents saved from the latest iWork applications, iWork '09 can't open them because it won't recognize the formats."

The menu choice
... is still there.

That won't work for you?
"Exporting" is not the same as "saving". They're two different formats... made more challenging by Apple's decision to keep the same file extension. This adds a wrinkle to workflows that involve using both versions. Things could've been easier if Apple had something like ".pages" for iWork 09 and ".pagesx" for the later versions. (like Word's .doc and .docx)

Ultimately, those of us who still use iWork 09 (either alone with alongside with the latest version) are on borrowed time. I'm hoping that Apple will add back the remaining features that are still missing before we are forced to switch to the latest versions.

Reactions: JoeInMilwaukee

bobval

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
benshive said:
"I'm still on Sierra"

I would also like to stay on Sierra. But what to do with security patch updates ?? Support only until September 2019 ..

JoeInMilwaukee

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Joe in Milwaukee wrote:

The menu choice
... is still there.

That won't work for you?
Would this mean every time I open and edit an iWork '09 document using the latest iWork application I couldn't simply select "Save," I would instead have to export it as an iWork '09 document and overwrite the existing iWork '09 file?

The reason I would like to keep my iWork '09 documents in iWork '09 format is so that older Macs (running iWork '09) can open them.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Would this mean every time I open and edit an iWork '09 document using the latest iWork application I couldn't simply select "Save," I would instead have to export it as an iWork '09 document and overwrite the existing iWork '09 file?

The reason I would like to keep my iWork '09 documents in iWork '09 format is so that older Macs (running iWork '09) can open them.
That is correct. There's also the issue of a Pages '09 document that contains features/layout that aren't supported in the Pages 8.x. When that document is opened by Pages 8.x, it is converted to something supported by 8.x. So even exporting to Pages '09 would result in a loss from the original file.

Reactions: JoeInMilwaukee

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have Pages 08, and Pages 09 but do not use the different layouts both of those versions offer. For me, the latest version of Pages is sufficient for my work. When I have to open older Word files or exchange documents, then I refer to my copy of Office 365 Word.

As for the question posed by @jwolf6589, there are other apps he can use in place of what he mentioned above. The suggestion to use iStat Menus would cover his needs, however, that's a paid app which he may not want.

jandrso

macrumors member
May 21, 2019
Fl, US
Wow so older OSX Holdouts here. I regularly use my Snow Leopard 2010 MBP. I "upgraded" it to Snow from El Capitan a while ago to resolve some undiagnosed slowdowns. It runs fine and lots of software to use.

My daily driver is 10.14.5 on my 2018 15". I do not use dashboard except to find apps that freshly install in order to try them and decide whether to keep or delete. I generally go to a shortcut to my Applications folder on the SSD.

Perhaps that's the "old System 7" holdout in me. I just can't stay out of my system folders.

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
same, crippling 32bit software is a deal breaker for me. Im still on Sierra. Was not happy with all the High Sierra issues so i skip that upgrade entirely.

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Nice to see another iWork 09 user still.

I probably will never use Catalina or any future macOS version on one of my computers. I am moving away from Mac for modern machines. I will continue to use what Macs I have now, but the OSes on them will remain static.

Reactions: madrich and sracer