Upgrading Powermac G5 to Maximum

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by theapplefreak, Apr 25, 2009.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

I am interested in buying a refurbished Powermac G5, and I was wondering how far you can upgrade it.
    Can you upgrade the processor to a Intel Nehalem Core i7? I've been wondering if you can. Of course, I'm not a apple expert.
    If you have an answer on the maximum power of the Powermac G5 can take, then please reply.

Thanks

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

No that processor won't work or any other processor. You can't upgrade the G5 processors like you used to on the G4s. Also I havn't seen any 3rd party processors either.

The fastest G5 was a quad(two dual-cores)2.5ghz. They also made a dual 2.7ghz model as well. They used DDR2 memory and had PCI-Express. They are also liquid cooled and possibly prone to leaks.

Other than memory, hard drive, graphics cards, there really isn't much you can upgraded on G5s.

Just buy the latest Mac Mini or iMac and you can run circles around the G5 :p. lol

3. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

Confirmation, G5 is old and slow

Just to confirm the previous post, the mini my wife just got is almost twice as fast (Final Cut Studio) as my old dual 2.5 Ghz G5.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Confirmation, mini is overpriced and slow

The G5 is many times more powerful in graphical capabilities, memory bandwidth and drive throughput.