Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Right, not soldered, but no third-party is making replacement SSDs that work in the current gen.

Because it's not soldered, though, you can try to find somebody who is selling a genuine Apple PCIe SSD of the capacity that you want, and install that. Search eBay. I'm sure it won't be cheap. But if you have a 256GB SSD and you want the 1TB one instead, you can certainly try to find one of the Apple ones for sale, or cannibalize the part out of a dead rMBP, or whatever. (Apple will not sell them direct.)

-- Nathan

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
they charge an arm and an leg for that 1TB SSD.

i have to partition a good portion to my windows side because of my company's software, which can have many different of our customers DB ranging from 1GB-2GB

of course i use an external but with the different version and all the other products we offer its just a bug, (not to mention all the prerequisite programs we have to install)

but i need Xcode to test our apps, ibooks author to look over our books and edit.

like the iPhone/iPad why cant these guys just be a A LITTLE bit reasonable with the storage upgrade prices.

I'm thinking about getting the 500GB and using this

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

1TB for personal (music, pictures, videos) 1TB for work

do you guys think the storage upgrades will ever drop down in prices?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
i have to partition a good portion to my windows side because of my company's software, which can have many different of our customers DB ranging from 1GB-2GB

Have you considered running Windows in a virtual machine (VMWare / Parallels) instead of partitioning the drive?

That way the amount of disk space Windows takes up can grow and shrink based on how much it really uses, instead of taking up a fixed chunk.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Have you considered running Windows in a virtual machine (VMWare / Parallels) instead of partitioning the drive?

That way the amount of disk space Windows takes up can grow and shrink based on how much it really uses, instead of taking up a fixed chunk.

oh haha i do have parallels but i like having partitions,

just in case i want to play some PC games at optimized speeds :D

but i haven't gotten a rMBP yet, I'm still on my 2010 13" MBP so sometimes i have to just boot off the partition because it gets really laggy sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.