Upgrading Present rMBP SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loon3y, Oct 3, 2014.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

2. awests macrumors regular

At the current time, correct. No 3rd party hard drives available.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's not soldered in, but nobody's offering any upgrades.

OWC is said to be working on an upgrade, but at this stage, I don't think they will offer one.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Right, not soldered, but no third-party is making replacement SSDs that work in the current gen.

Because it's not soldered, though, you can try to find somebody who is selling a genuine Apple PCIe SSD of the capacity that you want, and install that. Search eBay. I'm sure it won't be cheap. But if you have a 256GB SSD and you want the 1TB one instead, you can certainly try to find one of the Apple ones for sale, or cannibalize the part out of a dead rMBP, or whatever. (Apple will not sell them direct.)

-- Nathan

5. XenoJin macrumors newbie

6. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Site shows at the bottom of the page that the modules are only compatible with the Mid-2012 and Early-2013 models (MacBookPro10,1 and MacBookPro10,2), not the second-ten rMBPs released October 2013 and beyond (MacBookPro11,x).

-- Nathan

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I've seen some on eBay, but they're not cheap! Might as well buy a new Mac! :confused:

8. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

they charge an arm and an leg for that 1TB SSD.

i have to partition a good portion to my windows side because of my company's software, which can have many different of our customers DB ranging from 1GB-2GB

of course i use an external but with the different version and all the other products we offer its just a bug, (not to mention all the prerequisite programs we have to install)

but i need Xcode to test our apps, ibooks author to look over our books and edit.

like the iPhone/iPad why cant these guys just be a A LITTLE bit reasonable with the storage upgrade prices.

I'm thinking about getting the 500GB and using this

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

1TB for personal (music, pictures, videos) 1TB for work

do you guys think the storage upgrades will ever drop down in prices?

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you considered running Windows in a virtual machine (VMWare / Parallels) instead of partitioning the drive?

That way the amount of disk space Windows takes up can grow and shrink based on how much it really uses, instead of taking up a fixed chunk.

10. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

oh haha i do have parallels but i like having partitions,

just in case i want to play some PC games at optimized speeds :D

but i haven't gotten a rMBP yet, I'm still on my 2010 13" MBP so sometimes i have to just boot off the partition because it gets really laggy sometimes.