Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
Hi. I have a 2011 21.5" iMac with a 2.7 Ghz Core i5 processor. After doing some research, I learned that Intel's new Ivy Bridge chips also use the same 1155 socket as the Sandy Bridge chips. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I would be able to upgrade the processor to the i7 3770 (or i7 3770k). I consider myself pretty tech savvy and have already replaced my optical drive with a Blu Ray Drive, and added an SSD to my iMac, so I am confident in my abilities to replace the processor. I just would like to make sure it would work before I go through the trouble of upgrading it.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Hi. I have a 2011 21.5" iMac with a 2.7 Ghz Core i5 processor. After doing some research, I learned that Intel's new Ivy Bridge chips also use the same 1155 socket as the Sandy Bridge chips. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I would be able to upgrade the processor to the i7 3770 (or i7 3770k). I consider myself pretty tech savvy and have already replaced my optical drive with a Blu Ray Drive, and added an SSD to my iMac, so I am confident in my abilities to replace the processor. I just would like to make sure it would work before I go through the trouble of upgrading it.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Check iFixit.com if it's soldered or not.

Here we go:

"Replacing the CPU and GPU is possible to do, but you need to remove the logic board from the computer."

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-EMC-2428-Teardown/5485/2

But I think you may run into issues with the drivers for Ivy Bridge CPUs. You can probably google more info on this since people are running hackintoshes with Ivy Bridge already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.