Upgrading Purchased iTunes movies to 1080p

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m021478, Mar 17, 2012.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2007
    I've purchased about 100 movies on iTunes over the years, and I am now trying to figure out how to delete those old 720p movie purchases and re-download the 1080p version.

I've tried and failed doing so with a half dozen movies so far. I know that not all movies on the iTunes Store support re-downloading the upgraded version of the movie because not all movies studios have signed-off on 'movies in the cloud', and that might be my problem.

Let's take the movie 'The Incredibles' as an example... A year or two ago, I purchased this movie on the iTunes store (it's a 'Protected MPEG-4 video file') and the version on my computer is 1.6GB (853x354 res). Obviously a lower than HD version. The 1080p version is offered for sale on the iTunes store and it says that it's a 3.25GB file.

So I delete the non-HD legacy download off my machine, then visit the 'Purchased Movies' section of the iTunes store, and try re-downloading the updated file, and it simply starts downloading a 1.6GB version of the movie, not the HD copy.

I've made sure my iTunes' Preferences are configured so 'When downloading High-Definition videos, prefer 1080p" is set, but it's still downloading the smaller version of the movie.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
  2. logana macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    Maybe something to do with you maybe purchasing the SD version and not the HD version ?

The SD version is 1.6GB - I am not aware of a free upgrade to HD if you purchase the SD version.......
  3. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2007
    That's definitely it. Oversight on my part. Thanks for clarifying!
  4. Rockoar macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Paris (France)
    Apple/Film studios are demanding premium fees for HD content so you'll have to pay to get it.