Upgrading Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Casey01, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Casey01, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

Casey01 macrumors member

So my Macbook Pro only came with a 100GB HDD and I plan on updating it real soon. But the problem is I don't think that it comes with the iLife '09 CD. So if I put everything to the new HDD and upgrade to SL. Will it still keep iLife '09? Also will iLife '11 go down in price anytime soon?

EDIT: Also what HDD work and don't work with the MBP? I only plan on getting maybe a 160GB because 200 is to much. Same question with RAM, except I'm just updating to 3GB(Max it will allow according to some other people on here).

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If your MBP is from 2007 as stated in your sig, how would it have come with an iLife '09 disk? The software restore discs that came with your computer will have the latest version of iLife at the time of manufacture (iLife '06, I think). I assume you bought it used and it came with iLife '09 installed bu no disc? If that's the case, you're out of luck keeping iLife '09 if you do a clean install.

Unless, of course, you can simply copy the applications from a backup after you upgrade. I don't know if that works or not, maybe someone can confirm. Now, if you upgrade and don't do a clean install, then you'll keep everything you have now, including iLife '09.

If you do a clean install (erase the HDD and install from scratch) you'll lose everything from that drive.

3. Casey01, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

I did buy it used. But what are the upgrade limitations for this model?

EDIT: I found out that it does come with the iLife 09 Disk
    But what about the upgrade stuff.

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

You should download MacTracker, that has this information for all the computers that Apple has made.