Upgrading Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InfernoUk, Mar 8, 2009.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey i just wondered that if i purchased my iphone 3g on an 18month contract with o2 in the UK supposing apple do launch a new iphone in june of course no one knows yet. would i be able to upgrade to the new one for the price of the phone on contract (£150 or whatever) mid contract?

i ask this as i assume it would be the same as iphone first gen to 3g upgrading?

thanks for your time

InfernoUk

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Probably not since the one you got now would be subsidised over the contract life.

But I'd say go for it anyway, it's a great device and you could start enjoying it tomorrow !!!!!!!

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

i already have one if you read the post :p thats really dumb you cant upgrade im almost certain they offered it from first gen to 3g customers over a 30 days window ??

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Sorry, misunderstood you. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they offer next time.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

They did, but O2 didn't reduce the price of the first iPhone when taking a contract, it was ALWAYS 269, no subsidy at all.

iPhone 3G is subsidized so we may have to wait for there to be an upgrade available on our accounts to get a new one.
    :)

6. Aurial macrumors 6502

I think it could go either way for us this year to be honest.

Although the iPhone was subsidized this year it still costs a lot more than any other handset when you come to an initial payment in the shop. But when you compare the actual cost of the phone it's not any more than other recent handsets.

For example, the iPhone is £391.27 to buy on pay as you go, which is generally the sim free price of a phone as they can't guarantee that you're ever going to put any credit on it.

In contrast, the Nokia N96 costs £444.95 sim free and was released only just after the iPhone.

Last time I was in my local O2 store the N96 was free on a £30/month tariff. My 16GB iPhone cost me £160 on a £35/month tariff.

You guys do the math.