Upgrading Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dscuber9000, Jul 26, 2009.

1. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I bought the cheapest MacBook Pro (13", 2.26Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD) for now but in the future I think I may need better specs, especially if I ever want to set up Boot Camp. So I have a few questions before I seriously consider anything.

What are the max tech specs I can put into my machine? Is it possible to even upgrade the processor? What kind of screwdrivers will I need?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

BootCamp will run fine with that.

BootCamp is essentially native Windows, which runs fantastic on my 2.0ghz MB. The processor is soldered to the board, no upgrades there. RAM and Hard Disk are all that can be upgraded. #0 and #00 screwdrivers to open up the case.

3. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I think I'll want more hard-drive space if I put two operating systems, though. I'll play some games on XP once I get Boot Camp set up. Granted, they are old 90s games, but I still think I'll need more space. :p

4. feedmeister macrumors member

Use a #00 phillips screwdriver when you're upgrading. Don't use the #0 unless you want to strip the screws on your case.

The max HDD that's recognized right now is 500GB 7200RPM with 8GB Ram. Don't upgrade the ram to 8GB though, you won't need it and it's not worth it right now. 4GB should do you good.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think it's more that there aren't laptop drives readily available larger than 500GB. The computer shouldn't have any problem recognizing them once they're available.