Upgrading Quicksilver G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by warhawk03, Sep 18, 2007.

1. warhawk03 macrumors newbie

I've finally replaced an old Quicksilver G4 tower from around 2001 at my parent's house with a 20" Aluminum iMac. So, the troublemaker that I am, took their old tower. Perfectly good machine, just needs to be upgraded a bit. However, being as old as it is, it does not even have a combo drive in it to play/run DVDs. I want to put tiger on it, and watch dvd's. What should I do to upgrade the optical drive? What model should I try and find? Is eBay my best option? Any suggestions?

2. osprey76 macrumors 6502

You just need a regular optical drive. You can add a DVD-burner for a small amount of money. Other World Computing is a good place to pick up Mac compatible items. The drive will work with drivers that are already built into the OS, as long as it is the same as "SuperDrives" that Apple includes, such as the Pioneer brand that OWC carries. It's a pretty simple install. I did the same thing with my Gigabit Ethernet Mac a few years ago.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

All your optical drives are belong to us :D

lookie here: http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

for compatibility reports, literally 1000's of them !

OWC, Newegg, TigerDirect, Surplus Computers, among others.......they all have what you need if you want a NEW drive.

FYI, I will have a Pioneer DVR-103 burner for sale this weekend or early next week, as soon as it's replacement upgrade arrives :D Yea, I know it's old & slow, but very inexpensive too (perfect for a project box) Please PM me if interested..........