Upgrading RAM. 1- 2 GB stick or 2- 1 GB sticks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johndavidwright, Jan 26, 2009.

1. johndavidwright macrumors member

ok so i didnt know which was better. getting two 1 GB sticks or one 2 GB stick. I was thinking the two 1 GB sticks would run a little faster than the one 2 GB stick but wasnt sure. any help would be much appreciated.

2. DJ567 macrumors regular

in theory you want 2x1gb to take advantage of dual channel memory but if you want to upgrade later than 1x2gb would be better, imo dual channel makes little difference at least on windows ive never tried on a mac

3. walldawg84 macrumors member

It would also be worth checking which chipset you're using as to how much RAM it can take, just to be sure. As an example, I bought 2x2GB sticks of RAM for my mid-2007 blackbook but found out much to my dismay that the chipset only supports 3GB, so I'm not getting the full use out of my RAM.

If you google it, you should be able to find the info I'm referring to, haven't searched the forums for it myself tho...

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Memory is cheap - just go to OWC and grab 4gb (2x2gb) and be done w/ it.

5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

If you buy from Crucial, you can download a little app which will make sure you get the right memory.

6. walldawg84 macrumors member

sounds like a good little app ... plus, means you don't have to spend money on what you don't need or can't get the full use of!