Upgrading RAM advice please...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by grant.smith, Jul 27, 2011.

1. grant.smith macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a iMac 20" Late 2006 which has a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Since installing Lion, the computer is creaking a little, and seems to of slowed down, quite noticable.

The system profile says I have 2.5GB of RAM installed. Would upgrading the 512MB RAM to another 2GB RAM make much of a difference?

If so, it says it accepts 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory module, could you recommend which is best and where to buy it from? I did do a Google search for 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory module, but found thousands of different types from different companies, are some brands better than others?

2. bencnorden macrumors member

Couldn't recommend upgrading enough. I upped mine to 4gb and the difference is huge. Try crucial.com one of the cheaper and one of the/if not the best established RAM seller. Hope this helps :)

3. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I jumped from 2GB to 8GB on my Macbook Pro, huge difference especially in virtual machining and spaces.

4 is great for most anyone. You can get away with 2 but when you start doing more than just email and youtube videos. Than 4 is great. Just make sure the new RAM you get is the same speed and not slower. Motherboards default to the slower RAM speed.

4. grant.smith thread starter macrumors newbie