Upgrading RAM/Allocating Ram Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cwparrish, Mar 3, 2010.

1. cwparrish macrumors newbie

I have a 13" MacBook Pro Unibody with 2gb of ram in it. I am waiting on my 4gb to come in the mail and I am going to replace it tomorrow. Currently I am dual booting into Windows 7 with VMWare and it only has 512mb allocated to it. Is there anyway I can reallocate a different amount of RAM to Win 7 without doing a full reformat? If anyone could please let me know as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it! :apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Dual Booting is something different than using VMWare Fusion, as that is using a Virtual Machine (VM) instead of booting into an Operating System (OS).

RAM Size

It's important for the guest to have enough RAM to be able to do whatever it needs to, and also important for the host to have enough RAM to be able to do whatever it needs to. It's a bad idea to allocate too much or too little RAM to the guest. As with choosing virtual disk size, the correct choice depends on the guest OS and what you want to do with the VM. The choice of guest determines the minimum RAM you should give it, and the amount of RAM your computer has determines the maximum RAM you should give the guest. Other considerations include what you plan on doing in the host - if you're going to be running Photoshop, iTunes, Mail, VLC, etc. all at the same time, you might want to consider leaving more RAM for OS X. When the virtual machine is off, you can change the RAM allocation under Virtual Machine > Settings > Memory.

Virtual machines love RAM - once you've tweaked settings, the most cost-effective way to improve virtual machine performance is usually to install more RAM on the host. This has two advantages - you can give more RAM to the guest or OS X. If you give it to the guest, your guest applications can use it. If you give it to OS X, OS X can use the RAM as a cache to improve disk performance in the guest.

If you experience stuttering in iTunes or pauses when switching back and forth between the guest and OS X, try disabling disk caching by choosing VMware Fusion > Preferences > Optimize for Mac OS application performance.

from http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1110
    via http://www.google.de/search?client=...oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=LRqPS8SmEZa8nAPC7KWTCw

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. craigc1264 macrumors newbie