Upgrading RAM and a Question.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BlindSoul, Jun 14, 2011.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello.

I'm getting my iMac next week, It's the one for $1200 USD and I was interested in upgrading my RAM into 8GB. As most of you guys told me here before it doesn't worth paying Apple to do it cause I can save about 50% $$ Doing it myself.
    So I was wondering first, Does the iMac comes with 1x RAM piece of 4GB? Or it comes 2x RAM pieces of 2GB each?
    Cause if it comes with one piece of 4GB RAM, It means I only got to buy another piece of 4GB RAM right?

And my other questions is: Is it true that if I buy a Mac today I get the Mac OS X Lion upgrade for free?
    If so how are they gonna know when I bought it? ( I know it's not related to the iMac forum but It's instead of opening a new thread ).

Thank you very much! :)

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

From what I've heard, upgrading the RAM on an iMac isn't very hard. So you should have no problem taking care of it yourself. I'm not sure about the stock memory configuration though.

Yep, anyone who buys a Mac after WWDC gets Lion for free. Its based on the purchase/registration date.

3. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh that's awesome! It means even if I bought it here in Israel, Apple can see I bought it after WWDC? And I will get it free on Mac App Store...

Oh and, Can you give me a link for a good 8GB RAM Kit for the current iMacs?

4. mcgaveson macrumors newbie

Crucial are good but I don't know if they are available in Israel. At the least you can use their Memory Tool to find out which RAM type you need.
    http://www.crucial.com

5. Michael D. macrumors member

To the OP: The iMac comes with 2*2GB memory.

You have two free slots readily available.
    Therefore, upgrading to either 8GB or 12GB is easy.