Upgrading RAM and HDD Void Warranty ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Quest3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Quest3 macrumors newbie

I'm considering buy a Macbook. This is gonna be my first Mac ever, switching from PC. I'm wondering if I decide to buy one from Amazon, and then buy bigger RAM and bigger HDD to upgrade, would this void Apple's Warranty?

I watched a tutorial on Youtube on how to change the RAM and it looked easy. Is it also easy to upgrade the HDD?

Another question ... 120 GB 5400 rpm vs 120 GB 7200 rpm .. big difference?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It won't void warranty. But the new ram and hard drive won't be covered under apple's warranty, just everything else of the laptop would.

I upgraded from a 120GB to a 250GB on my macbook, very simple. Upgraded the ram from 1GB to 2GB then 3GB and finally 4GB, also very simple.

I'm not sure, but I dont think a 7200 drive would make a huge difference. I know the 7200 uses 2.1+ watts vs the 5400 using less then 2 watts.. so there might be a battery life difference.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RAM and hard drive are user replaceable parts in the MacBook.

HD speed will make a difference depending on what type of work you are doing. If you are doing professional Photoshop, digital audio or digital video, then go for the 7200 if you can afford the difference.

If you can't afford both, then maxing the RAM out will make more difference than going 5400 to 7200 RPM on the drive

4. Quest3 thread starter macrumors newbie