Upgrading RAM by myself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lion-king, Jun 24, 2009.

1. lion-king macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I plan to order a macbook-pro 13inch 2.26, and debating if I should ask the apple guys to upgrade the RAM to 4gb, OR should I do it myself? I will be saving around $35 if I do it myself, is it worth the risk of opening the mac, installing it and not screwing up something else.
    And the quality of RAM that apple installs, will it top the stuff I plan to buy from newegg or crucial?

Also, I have one more question on a different note. There is an option to upgrade HD from default 160GB to 250GB for $45. Honestly i don't use more than 100GB because as I have an external HD. The reason I am considering this at all is that because, will it going to be a good selling point when I am try to sell it in future OR it doesn't matter?

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback.

Regards

2. Zenze macrumors newbie

The quality of the ram you would buy from apple is the same as what you can get from newegg.

As far as installing it, its really easy. You just unscrew the back and there it is, just pop it right in. If you are really worried about it you can look at some pictures of macbook pros that have been torn apart before you do it yourself.

3. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Mac sure that you buy your ram from a good well known site, like Apple. Make sure that the ram is exactly the ram you mac needs. You can damage your motherboard if the ram is not the right now. As for the installation, you can do it yourself. Watch some videos on youtube and you'll be good. :eek:

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Think of it this way: It costs $35 to eliminate any problems you may end up having and AppleCare coverage on your RAM. I'd say that is worth it.

Hard drives should be 3rd party upgraded. Apple's prices are a ripoff.