Upgrading RAM for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sash, Apr 23, 2008.

1. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying 6-8 GB RAM for Mac Pro. I've done it via OWC in the past, but now it looks a bit strange that they're offering so little choice of brands... Is their claim that the major brands are selling not fully compliant memory actually true? And another question: is their own memory worth it?

Thanks!
    sash

2. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

We offer our own line of Mac Pro 667MHz and 800MHZ memory as well as Techworks and Netlist brand memory for those that have a prior preference. All of the Mac Pro memory we list is fully Apple spec compliant including both qualified heatsink, major brand top-tier dram, and IDT AMB.

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/MAc+Pro+memory+ECC

3. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi Larry!

Thanks for your answer! I've already placed the order for RAM at OWC.

sash

4. Roy macrumors 6502

What OWC Larry is doing is what I wish Apple would do. By coming on this forum and talking with Mac users, OWC Larry is providing a consumer service plus generating business for his company. Good business practice as I see it.

5. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

I have made several purchases from OWC including 8G of OWC ram for my new Mac Pro. The ram works great and I haven't had any heat problems.

I have never seen an Apple rep post an answer in any forum. Recently a topic on the apple.com forum had over 19,000 views without a single response from the company.

6. aibo macrumors 6502

Good choice with OWC... running 8GB from them without any problems. I've always liked OWC as they're a sponsor of xlr8yourmac too.

7. agee macrumors newbie

OWC Larry,

How is the warranty for the other brands covered? If for example I were to buy Tech Works memory, and needed it to be replaced. Would I be dealing with you or Buffalo Technology?

Thanks

8. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

I have just installed the modules. 10 GB (2 GB stock + 8 GB OWC) has been recognized as 6 GB by Mac OS 10.5.2 as well as by Vista 64 SP1. I've installed the modules following the OWC description.

Disappointed to say the least...

sash

9. BigJimSlade macrumors member

I've just had exactly the same thing happen to me - there was one faulty stick. Have you checked the memory risers to see if there are any red error lights?

10. pprior macrumors 65816

I also had similar problem - was getting less ram than I was supposed to - LED light was lit, bad stick. OWC replaced quickly and without any hassle. They are highly recommended in my opinion.

11. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Could you please tell me where to find these lights? Power on, side panel off?

I've removed the Apple stock RAM, and the OWC ones show 4 GB instead of 8 GB... Looks like each of them gets recognised like 1 GB.

sash

12. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

I'm in Belgium, and that's a difficult point... The modules should be sent back on my cost I presume, then comes another shipment, another import tax... Not to mention bad mood of course...

sash

13. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

I hardly order stuff like RAM and HD's overseas. These components are pretty sensitive, and I know how they handle packages on airports.

--Erwin

14. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

You're right, it's a risk. But I've done that in the past -- ordering at OWC RAM for G5 for example. Everything went good... And of course the prise and availability: in the US it's much cheeper and the choice seems always to be better.

Anyway, I always liked and trusted OWC...

sash

15. serverplads macrumors member

I'm in the same position! I live in the UK and just received a faulty one from OWC! Now I have to send it back on my cost and probably pay import tax again. The first shipment took 20 days to arrive! Wonder how long this one will take, since they probably don't send the replacement until they have received the old ones back.

16. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Well...

There was indeed a red light. One of the modules was indicated as a bad one.

After noticing that, I've begun to remove and reseat the modules in order to identify the bad one.

I've spotted two DIMMs in the bottom card, one of which had to be the bad one. To my surprise, after reseating them to the top and to the bottom, they both show up as 2 GB each. I've put yet the other two by OWC -- 8 GB. Installed the Apple stock DIMMs -- 10 GB, as it should be from the beginning.

I've restarted Mac a few times and everything seems to be all right. I got my 10 GB.

But the main question: what the hell happened? Are the DIMMs bad (the red light) and am I just lucky for some time? Should I ask for replacement?

I looked at the DIMM's data: no serial number (0x00000000), no manufacturer (0x0000).

Thank you a lot!
    sash

17. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

That's actually not uncommon. There are a lot of pins that have to be in good contact and very commonly there is residue from the factory process in the riser slots that can affect this. Our techs usually advise removing and reinserting modules before issuing an RMA for this - including cleaning the pins with rubbing alcohol if possible too since that residue can adhere to the fine edge connector finger contact points.

When we first got our Mac Pro 800MHz and did testing prior to starting to ship product the Thursday after introduced the new model, I personally saw this issue as we had memory not behaving right in two out of the initial three systems on the bench for testing. Actually was really worried - but after recleaning the modules and reinserting - all was good.... and all was good there on out with the additional modules being tested - was just something in the slots.

Once you're good, your're good. I've not seen a halfway point. You can do a long test with Apple HArdware test or Member.

18. yomibro macrumors regular

Check the amount of memory on your Mac frequently for the next few weeks, I had the same issue with some other brand of memory that I purchased and the LED would light up from time to time (not every single boot). If the problem persists I would suggest to send it back for a replacement which is what I did.

19. sash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sash

Yes, I'll most certainly do that.

Thank you all 100000 times for your help and advices!

If eventually things will go wrong with the DIMMs, I'll post it here -- along with resolution of the problem.

Cheers,
    sash

20. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

If I have 4 512's atm and want 1gb more ram, would I buy 2 512's and how would i arrange them?